Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

drag setup for a h/c spray car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drag setup for a h/c spray car

my car right now is a h/c/bolt on car. this winter i want to do a 9 inch, built tranny/clutch to make it close to bullet proof. im also going to spray it with a 150 shot. what suspension would i need for this setup to run consistenly. please help me out on what i need first then list down to the things that i can get later on. i was thinking about going with umi suspension parts. thanks in advance!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the order I would buy stuff...

-Subframe connectors
-Adjustable LCAs, adjustable panhard, and adjustable torque arm
-rear drag bar
-Adjustable drag shocks and springs
-kmember/a-arms if you wanna go all out

Removing the front sway bar is free and makes a big difference on launches. If it's not a daily driver you won't miss it, especially after you get a rear drag bar.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks. do i need single adjustable or double adjustable i am confused on that. what is the difference
Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

1.Torque arm is a must with a 9" so do that first
2. Front and rear drag shocks and springs(fronts)
3. Double adjustable suspension. you will easily be fine with single but its a hassle to adjust.
4. subframe connectors
5. depending on how straight the car will launch, rear drag bar.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DA allows for diff compression and rebound settings. To be honest you can do quite well with single Adj setting QA1's on the cheap. IF you could afford, look at Madman tuned AFCO's

You really need a solid rear sway. I just picked up a UMI rear drag bar, Since taking off the front sway, the car was sloppy, but putting this one on really helped a lot.

The TQ arm and LCA's will make a world of diff.

Then from there take as much weight out of the front. Just becareful of not put her on the bumper.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

My new project is running UMI LCA's, PHB, torque arm and drag rear bar. I suggest doing all of that plus front and rear drag shocks. I'm looking to hit the 1.29's in the 60 ft have been 1.35 in the past.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My new project is running UMI LCA's, PHB, torque arm and drag rear bar. I suggest doing all of that plus front and rear drag shocks. I'm looking to hit the 1.29's in the 60 ft have been 1.35 in the past.

Prostock John your 10.00 2000 camaro must was real light?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

A good portion of you suspension choices are dependant on what you plan to put in the car. I'm guessing you'll probably be putting larger tires on the back of the car so you'll need ADJ panhard and LCA's. Those will help you center the rear and wheels/tires in the wheel well.

If you are going to go to a 9" then you are going to need a torque arm that will fit the housing. Midwest chassis makes a really slick 9" setup that comes with a torque arm and drag bar for pretty cheap. (When you consider its a custom rear)

I would deffinatley go with ADJ shocks. As mentioned, AFCO's are great if you can afford them otherwise, strange seems to be the preffered shock. You may want to look into DA shocks since you have a M6 car. Depending on the race weight of your car you'll want to look at 300 or 325lb springs for the front. Most have been sticking with stock shocks in the back. (including myself)

~Jim~

Quick Reply: drag setup for a h/c spray car