Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 rotors with stock LS1 calipers/ abutment brackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks for all the replies guys. So really what I want to know and im not sure if I have read it yet, are the C5 and LS calipers the same dimentionally (aside from the piston size)? Can you have a complete C5 brake conversion with the only thing non C5 being the calipers?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Bro Inc, I don't know why taking original brakes and increasing the rotor diameter by 1 inch is half assed, pretty sure this would be an improvement over stock, and that is all I am going for. If I want the best brakes I can get on my car I will go with CTS-V brakes (which I probably will do in the future) or better. I am just going for the best bang for your buck brake mod. I have a feeling by the input of this thread that a bunch of other people here are interested in the same thing. Like I said, I dont need people telling me what is better, just want to know if it will work.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Ok thats better, thank you for the useful input. I am trying to gather as much accurate information here to help everyone else out.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Well I feel the need to inform you that although it will fit, it might not work.
I bought the C5 kit because my rotors warped 5 times under warranty and once after.

I got a new rotor and pad kit from a sponsor here and by the time I had burnished the new stuff in, I could see what my problem was.... caliper spread/ deflection. I could tell because of the dark burn ring around the od of the rotor.
My LS1 calipers never seen hard use yet were still clamping harder on the outer od of the rotor surface.
I even called the rotor supplier, Centric, who imports a lot of white box, cheap made in china rotors for most everyone, I asked them why their rotors were screwing up on me. Come to find out it was the caliper. The rotors measured perfect with no taper, the pads were ok.

Apparently I'm either the only one who's has this happen or I'm the only one who noticed. I could have thrown the pads and rotors on and run them a few more miles until the pads wore down and the whole rotor surface showed contact, but it would still have been clamping harder on the OD, overheating everything and warping the new rotors.
I am sure you are not the only one but there are many people who open track their car on stock size rotors, stock calipers, and good pads (including me). That combo can actually be very effective.

The only reason I see to switch to the larger C5 rotors is due to the larger heat sink and greater cooling due to the directional vents. This should help to fix brake fade and should also help to prevent rotor warping.

The more I have researched this and thought about this, the only reason to do this is if you are using your car to its limits and experiencing brake fade that you have not been able to fix with pad choice. At this point, the C5 rotor upgrade would be a benefit. It certainly would be best to upgrade to the C5 or C6 calipers as well.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

I have not read through the thread completely but I want to contribute with my experience.

I got the BMR C5 conversion bracket, I did run a cheep brand C5 rotor but with the stock calliper. Looks good but there is a problem, the brake pad does not get covered by the rotor. Which means that the pad will "wrap around" the rotor and get worn in a very dangerous way. And an other problem if you run “17 GM wheels is that the caliper gets really close to the wheel.

Blury picture but i think it shows the point.

Un eaven worn rotor with multiple craks

Caliper clerance. Les than a paper..

I got a deal now on C6 caliper, pads and rotor for close to nothing. But I am not sure if this will fit my “17 rim.. any ideas??
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LG brackets bolt on with no cutting but need C5 length brake lines
and use the Fbody abutment brackets.
They appear to mount a little deeper into the rotor than the pics above.

Last edited by shoemike; 11-10-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run the LG bracket with the camaro pad bracket and camaro pads( HPS and HP+) and C5 Z06 calipers and C5 braided SS lines. I have autox this comb for years and street driven it with absoultely no issues. I used the cheap C5 GM durastop slotted rotors and was prepared to just throw them away, but they have never warped, cracked or anything. The performance is great. My car was in the Car Craft real street elimanator competition and the did a 60-0 braking comp. 10 stops from 75-0 and their radar and laptop measured your 60-0 distance. all 10 stops were between 110 and 109 feet even when hot. with a car that weighs 3800 with me in it that is pretty good stopping
Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I know the only bracket that lets you use LS1 calipers with C5 rotors is the LG brackets and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I haven't found out what they cost yet but heard they were pricey? On the plus side C5/base C6 rotors are $28 cheaper a piece than the LS1 rotors on Strano's site. Not sure if they are directional vanes (like the vettes) which would be another benefit over LS1 rotors...

If your using BMR or the like for a C5 bracket, you need to use C5/base C6 calipers or you won't get full pad contact as seen above!

Quick Reply: C5 rotors with stock LS1 calipers/ abutment brackets