Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking to replace the brake system need suggestions

Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to replace the brake system need suggestions

Hey guys! We are going to replace the brake system in our LS1 and would like to hear some suggestions. Currently our car is pretty stock with plans to be over 500hp by the summer. I know we can't afford a big bear kit so anything less than those we would be willing to consider.
Thanks!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Ok, maybe I confused everyone. I just want to replace the rotors, pads and maybe the calipers.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

www.stranoparts.com

ATE rotors
hawk hps pads

if you want do the stainless brake lines and make sure to bleed all the old fluid.

will make a DRAMATIC improvement!!

if you want better calipers and slightly bigger rotors...look into the C5 brackets/upgrade.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

the CTS-V and Z06 brake upgrade is growing in popularity too.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Pads, rotors, and stainless lines will PROBABLY do you.

If you don't want to buy wheels, the C5 rotor upgrade is good.
1. LG's brackets are a true bolt on and retain your calipers. This is what I did.
2. UMI's kit, or one comparable, uses vette calipers and requires cutting spindles. It's a well designed kit and is complete. There are comparable kits. The vette calipers don't clamp as hard but are stronger over the long haul.

If you are willing to buy new rims and tires, then the CTS-V or Z06 upgrades look pretty awesome, but you've just added 1500-2000 to the cost of your "brake" upgrade since neither of them fit under 17" rims.

For a driver, the C5 upgrade truly is one and is cost effective. I'd couple that with some Koni shocks and let the brakes work like they are supposed to by keeping the springs damped properly and keeping the contact patch in contact. If you are more drag focused, the Bilstein HDs are a great, no-compromise bang for the buck setup that allow more weight transfer.

Shocks are the worst part of these cars' suspension. The LS1 brakes are actually pretty darn decent and a pad, rotor, and line swap will feel awesome to you.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above we do offer a C5 Brake upgrade kit for your high performance brake needs. We offer them with blank or slotted rotors. Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...v4m2f8utpuns66

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggiebutter
Ok, maybe I confused everyone. I just want to replace the rotors, pads and maybe the calipers.
if you are just looking into replacing the pads, and rotors i would give adam @ brakemotive a call. the pricing for some slotted rotors and pads is very good as he has a sale on them. i got 4 slotted rotors shipped to my door for 179 bucks.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Slotted rotors are not an upgrade, and if you go cheap - you will suffer for it.

I suggest Hawk HPS pads and Brembo or Centric blanks, along with your stainless line swap and complete fluid flush. If you do that formula with a C5 rotor upgrade, you're GOING to have awesome brakes.

Search this Thread