Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension advice needed

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension advice needed

The front is very squishy and has way to much roll. I want to stiffen up the front end for improved handling. Looks like the A arm bushings are shot from what I see. I am sure with the age all the bushings need replacement.

Anyone know of a good kit to purchase to help this? Seems like BMR front and rear sway bar replacement would be a start...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Buy a full kit from strano....I'm doing that this spring. Shocks, lowering springs, maybe a few other pieces under there.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice! What made your choose them over BMR?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gokussx4
The front is very squishy and has way to much roll. I want to stiffen up the front end for improved handling. Looks like the A arm bushings are shot from what I see. I am sure with the age all the bushings need replacement.

Anyone know of a good kit to purchase to help this? Seems like BMR front and rear sway bar replacement would be a start...
If the A-arm bushings are rotted new sway bars are not going to help.

Probably the first thing you need to do is asses the condition of the suspension on your vehicle front and back. I would look at all of your bushings endlinks etc and look for worn or damaged components.

How many miles are on the current set of dampeners you have on the car? Shocks play a large role in how a car feels going straight down the road and transitions in curves.

All of that being said we do offer a large variety of upgrade suspension components and offer the technical support need even well after the sale.

I would be happy to make recommendations or answer any questions you might have regarding our products
Old 12-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Launching!

I would very much like some suggestions! I only took a quick look at the bushings but they looked deflated so to speak on the A arms. I replaced the shocks/struts about a year ago but that didn't make that much of a difference and to be honest I didn't expect a big change because they only dampen the impact.

Please do send me a pm or reply here with a suggestion
Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

call Sam Strano. You will be happy you did.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd be happy to help you out, it's part of what I do here. I can't, and frankly will not, make recommendations based on a few lines in an e-mail.

Everyone will tell you they thing their parts are the best. I'm not different. It's up to you to sort through the reasons they give you and see who you trust most. I'm one of the few around here who actually turns corners in these cars, and I do it well and with a proven track record (literally).

I developed my springs and bars based on what I needed/wanted on my car for the best balance and so the car will still work on imperfect roads (of which there are many more here in PA and the Northeast in general as opposed to someplace like Florida). For that matter there are more corners and twisty backroads too.

I'm here to help you with your setup and the parts too. You should feel free to call me @ 814-849-3450

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gokussx4
I would very much like some suggestions! I only took a quick look at the bushings but they looked deflated so to speak on the A arms. I replaced the shocks/struts about a year ago but that didn't make that much of a difference and to be honest I didn't expect a big change because they only dampen the impact.

Please do send me a pm or reply here with a suggestion
Im guessing you replaced the shocks (our cars don't have struts) with OEM replacements or autozone replacements (monroes)?
If so that would be part of the problem. The stock shocks are "squishy" and loose from the factory, its how their valved, not just their age. If you get some good aftermarket ones you will notice a huge difference. Koni SA's on my car made more of a difference than aftermarket swaybars and spring combined.
Talk to Strano when it comes to suspension, read his sig.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the post before me said,call Sam Strano at Strano Performance and talk to him.He is the guy when it comes to suspension.A great set of shocks will make a huge difference.
Like a set of koni sa's.What kind of shocks did you put on the car and where did you buy them?It might be a good idea to post some close up photos of your A arm bushings so we can see what they look like.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Thank you all for your replies!

Yes they are all shocks but I couldn't remember the difference atm because I was in front of a computer not looking at them

Correct assumption as well as these were just monroes to replace the factory ones at the time. I did not know that the shock replacement could make that big of a difference!

I will call Sam here in a few and get some ideas. Goes to show you just because you know how to replace it doesn't always mean you know how it works

Have a great holiday everyone!

Search this Thread