Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Re-doing my suspension UMI rear lower control arms or stock arms with 1le bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-doing my suspension UMI rear lower control arms or stock arms with 1le bushings?

I am getting ready to re do my suspension. when I bought this car, it came with some Vogtland springs on it that I have never heard of, along with some crapy KYB Gas adjust shocks and struts. It also has UMI two point SFC, UMI single adj panhard bar, and UMI non adj rear lower control arms with poly bushings in both ends (part # 2015-r) and the LCA relocation brackets. Thing is the car is too low for my taste( around 2" from stock) and it rides like crap. I also owned this same car when it had completely stock suspension on it and it rode pretty much as good as my stock C5 vette. I am trying to get a nice handling but smoother riding car. It doesn't handle worth a crap now. It has that riced out honda bounce to it, the front will slide really easily and when ever I go over bumps with the rear end it sounds like it's coming out of the car. The car only has 42k on it and it has been on this suspension about 5-6k. I don't think there is anything worn out or broken in the suspension. I just think that it's very mis matched, and too low. It's pretty obvious the guy who bought this stuff didn't know what he was doing. Especially with the springs and shocks. I know I am of course keeping the UMI SFC, and the adj. panhard bar for centering the rear end. I already have a new front set of Koni Yellows sitting in my shop floor and will be getting the rear set to match along with some Sam Stranno springs like I had on my last car. This should raise the car back up some and help with ride and not skipping accross road surfaces. I am wondering however if the rear LCA's with their poly ends are contributing to the harshness back there. I am strongly consindering either getting some stock arms and installing 1LE bushing in them or just getting the whole entire 1lE arms for the back. Also, does anyone know which hole in the relocation brackets I would run the rear LCA's in with Stranno springs? With both the UMI LCA's and Stock LCA's? I am very open to criticism here, if you guys that really know these suspension systems have any tips or advice for me, shout it out.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Shawn
What I would suggest for you is to wait until you get your new shocks on. And then see how it rides. Yes I can see your point (poly being more firm) but it will hold up better then rubber as long as you properly grease them. And seeing how the vehicle is going to be lowered. For the Lower control arm relocation brackets we have experienced using the lowest hole give you great traction performance. But also allows you to readjust the lower control arm back to the correct angle. If you have any other questions fell free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Any other input?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

thats the best advice you can get. start there. you may not need anything else.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get some better shocks(that's most of your problem), and get rid of the poly/poly lca's and get a set of UMI lca's with the roto-joint on both ends (adj/non-adj your choice).That will totally get rid of the binding caused by the regular poly bushings, and give you smooth (quiet) articulation, and predictable handling. As far as the lca relocation brackets set the lca in the holes that puts the lca either level, or the rear of the lca slightly lower than at the front mount position.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Well I already have Koni yellows that are going on the car. I agree with you that most of the problem is the crappy shocks. It's also that the car is soo low though, and I think that it's coming in contact with the bump stops sometimes in the back. What is a roto-joint? Have been out of the car loop for a while, but i've never heard of that.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just click on the roto-joint photo in the link.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
If you are interested in a set of roto joints. You are going to need to go with a completely different LCA. We do not offer replacement roto joints for poly bushings (due to the assembly of the product). Below is a link to show you what we have to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...4gqgakpvs518m7

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Re-doing my suspension UMI rear lower control arms or stock arms with 1le bushings?