Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are bump steer tie rod ends necessary for lowered cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are bump steer tie rod ends necessary for lowered cars?

I was looking through the RKSport paper catalog the other day and came upon their bump steer tie rod ends. According to RKSport's description, its bump steer tie rod ends will give an f-body the correct front-suspension geometry that was lost if it was lowered. I went to RKSport's website and saw this:

#010321010 - Bump Steer Tie Rod Ends

Bump steer occurs when intentional changes to steering geometry, such as caster, camber, or static ride height, result in undesired, dynamic changes to settings. In driving, this normally shows up when the suspension is already "loaded"(as in hard cornering, and particularly when simultaneously braking) and a change in road surface (pot hole, bump, other) is encountered. In such cases, the car darts sharply and unexpectedly. In the extreme, this can cause a total loss of control, minimally, it is unsettling, unsafe and undesirable.

Would I need this when I lower my car? I'm asking, because I don't see anybody else in here installing this mod in his or her lowered f-body. Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited by damon_Z; 12-26-2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were racing in a championship series, you may want to measure the bump steer of the 4th gen F-body and correct it if it is a problem. I've not measured it personally, but I didn't think it was too bad (from what I've read). I'm not running one and I autocross my car. I can't think of a single person that I know or have met on the boards that has one of those kits (Baer Racing did or does one). I'd pass on it and put the money towards shocks and an adjustable PHB.

My thoughts.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:33 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto here , have'nt needed it so far

Quick Reply: Are bump steer tie rod ends necessary for lowered cars?