Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Winter Suspension Upgrade project..please help

Old 12-27-2003, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Winter Suspension Upgrade project..please help

I have a 98 TA with stock suspension components and have put together a list of upgrades and would like some feedback. I currently have 18x8 rims with 255/35/18 tires but in the near future would like to get 18x9 or larger to go with a 295/35/18 tire so keep this in mind. OK here is what I am thinking......eibach prokit springs (would like to have sportline but have been told more than likely too low), KYB AGX adjustable shocks all the way around, 32mm front and 21mm solid sway bars from BMR, and an adjustable panhard rod from BMR also. If there is anything else I should do or that you recommend please let me know. Also, is this something I can do or is this a job for a professional? Thanks alot guys for your help.....
Old 12-27-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LG Motorsports is the cadillac of suspension components. None better.

Being as you re in the market and LGM is having a 25% off sale on suspension parts, I would give them a call before I wasted my cash on BMR stuff. And I've wasted my share of it.

You really have no choice on springs. Nothing out there any more to compete.

No personal experience with KYB shocks nor anyone I know has them

1LE sway bars would be more cost effective

Why do you think you need an adjustable PHB? Wait till you get rubbing, then order.

I don't see LCAs or relocation brackets on that list. That will help with wheel hop. If you still have it, a torque arm toround it all out.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the KYB AGX 8 way adjustable shocks on the rear for one day, that was enough because there was no compression on the down stroke, I would go with the Bilsteins if I were you. The KYB AGX shocks might be fine for drag racing but for street use I found them to be worthless, I've said this before " I wouldn't put them on my lawn mower ". Depending on what the back spacing is on your wheels you might get tire rub if you lower your car ( even with an adjustable panhard rod ), you will want the adjustable panhard rod if you lower your car.

I have the BMR adjustable panhard, front and rear sway bars with there poly endlinks, Bilsteins and bolt-on SFC's.

You ask if " this something I can do or is this a job for a professional? ", what do you think? In most cases installing the panhard rod, sway bars, shocks ( rear ), springs ( rear ) can be done by almost anyone, installing the front springs and shocks is another thing. I'm not saying people can't do the front's but it's not like doing the rears either, here's a link. http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/bmr.htm Good luck with your choices.

Al
Old 12-27-2003, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Default Bilsteins

Ok, so Bilsteins HD shocks would be better for the setup I want to go with...I found some brand new that are $328 for all four and that is shipped...is this a good price? This is acutally cheaper than the KYB's which were 336 without shipping....I also checked out the 1LE sway bars and believe I will go with these as recommended as opposed to the BMR stuff....both bars and new poly bushings and endlinks for $209.

Last edited by 1998CruzMssl; 12-27-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For me, Sam Strano suggested the Koni SA's up front and 3rd gen Blistiens in the rear. If you search, you'll find that many are running that same shock combo and are doing quite well in autocross events. What sold me is going for a ride with those shocks and stock springs. Night and day difference with his car and my WS6! With the shocks, I'll be using BMR springs and every spring will have pro's and cons. I just wanted a smooth ride with better handling and 1" drop so the BMR's fit. I'm using BMR adj PHR and some cheapo LCA's but those will be replaced with something better down the road. Relocation brackets are a must for any car lowered or not. For sway bars, I'd suggest the 1LE 21mm in the back and the ST 35mm front. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. A coil over setup in the front might be better but its more $$$. I'd highly suggest you talk to others that have had good success like Strano and go from there.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify ...

1LE bars from a '93 F-Body.
While the front bars are the same size, the '93 rear bar is a 21mm.

Search this Thread