Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

In the market for a street car torque arm... so confused?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for a street car torque arm... so confused?

I am strictly a street car with little dragstrip visits. I have strano springs, koni's, and 2 1/2" Bassani tru dual x pipe exhaust. I'm making under 400hp and plan to stay that way. I am looking for an adjustable torque arm to correct my pinion angle. I have roto end lca's, relo brackets, and roto phb and have wheel hop from hell when I'm WOT shifting (Monster 3 with chromoly flywheel) From a stand still I have no traction issues even on the street, it's just after installing the clutch every WOT shift violently wheel hops and begs to break my axle again.
I've tried a poly trans mount before (no name brand) and the vibration was ridiculous and removed it. I know a need a full length, adjustable torque arm but do I have to use the poly mount that they come with or can I use a different rubber one (if somebody makes them)? I'm also interested in the crossmember relocation for the torque arm but I'm very concerned with noise and vibration. I'm not sure about the poly mounts. Are there rubber bushings where the crossmember and floor pan meet or would putting any there help?
I talked to Brad from UMI but honestly dude, you lost me. I like your spirit but you aren't answering my questions about the noise issues.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most of the noise problems come from the tunnel mount TA, but I could be wrong
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I think most of the noise problems come from the tunnel mount TA, but I could be wrong
I can't speak for the full length TA, but I have a UMI Tunnel Mounted one and that thing is dead quiet. The only time I ever hear it is on hard launches and WOT shifts, and it's barely noticeable at that...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

If you go ahead with a full-length you won't hear it. I have heard of people disliking their short length tunnel mounts because of noise and vibrations but I have no personal experience with that. I have run my UMI full-length arm mounted on both the transmission tailshaft and on the UMI relocation kit and it doesn't make any noise at all with the supplied polyurethane bushing. Regardless, I would recommend looking into a relocation kit because you don't wanna rip the tailshaft off the tranny when your slamming through those gears, just my .02.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

The poly bushing for the torque arm doesn't transfer that much vibration. And the way i see it if you want to really hook up the rubber bushings don't help they will flex too much and break. For real traction its give and take you have to take a little vibration and noise sometimes to get the traction you want. I have a full length UMI adj torque arm with poly bushing and when my car was just bolts-ons you really couldn't even hear it or feel it but it took away all my wheel hop
Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

The UMI could probably use the stock rubber bushing, the shape is the same. I never noticed any difference in noise, personally. The tranny mount is a totally different story, and you should not feel that the two are comparable.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I am strictly a street car with little dragstrip visits. I have strano springs, koni's, and 2 1/2" Bassani tru dual x pipe exhaust. I'm making under 400hp and plan to stay that way. I am looking for an adjustable torque arm to correct my pinion angle. I have roto end lca's, relo brackets, and roto phb and have wheel hop from hell when I'm WOT shifting (Monster 3 with chromoly flywheel) From a stand still I have no traction issues even on the street, it's just after installing the clutch every WOT shift violently wheel hops and begs to break my axle again.
I've tried a poly trans mount before (no name brand) and the vibration was ridiculous and removed it. I know a need a full length, adjustable torque arm but do I have to use the poly mount that they come with or can I use a different rubber one (if somebody makes them)? I'm also interested in the crossmember relocation for the torque arm but I'm very concerned with noise and vibration. I'm not sure about the poly mounts. Are there rubber bushings where the crossmember and floor pan meet or would putting any there help?
I talked to Brad from UMI but honestly dude, you lost me. I like your spirit but you aren't answering my questions about the noise issues.
Hello
When you emailed me saying that you wanted to go with a torque arm that was quite and did not have any vibration issues. That is when I suggest the full length arm and relocation cross member (to eliminate any possibility of breaking the tail shaft) like everyone mentioned above.... And to keep the vibration down I recommended staying away from a poly transmission mount the would mount to your cross member. I would just recommend going with a OEM replacement. Maybe it would be easier and less confusing if you had any other questions feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to explain my recommendations for the parts. Once again sorry for any misunderstanding.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
The UMI could probably use the stock rubber bushing, the shape is the same. I never noticed any difference in noise, personally. The tranny mount is a totally different story, and you should not feel that the two are comparable.
Hello
Actually with our torque arm you will only be able to use our poly mount. Which will hold up better than a rubber. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brad, I love UMI's customer service but I kept addressing and asking if the crossmember would add noise and thought you were dodging just to get by. Anyway, you clarified and can now come to my birthday

Are there rubber isolators for the c-member to body?

Also, when is the heim joint or roto end torque arm coming out? If soon, I will wait. I have spohn's heim ends and love them. Sorry Brad, they came out before yours and I was ready to buy.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Brad, I love UMI's customer service but I kept addressing and asking if the crossmember would add noise and thought you were dodging just to get by. Anyway, you clarified and can now come to my birthday

Are there rubber isolators for the c-member to body?

Also, when is the heim joint or roto end torque arm coming out? If soon, I will wait. I have spohn's heim ends and love them. Sorry Brad, they came out before yours and I was ready to buy.
Hello
Great to hear! And like I mentioned before sorry about the misunderstanding. Its fine going with another manufactures product. Like you mentioned they were out first and lets face it anythings better than stock suspension parts.. But there is rubber isolators available...But it would be easier and cheaper for you to make them yourself. If you have any other questions leave me know!
Thanks
Brad