Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what else do i need to lower my car 1.5in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what else do i need to lower my car 1.5in?

i have a 98 ws6 stock rims, what else would i need to get to lower my car 1.5in besides springs?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

shocks, an adjustable panhard bar, maybe lca relocation brackets, and an alignment

i wouldn't lower it 1.5 inches in the first place though
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your wanting it that low you need to go lower with the eibach sportline springs
Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
If your wanting it that low you need to go lower with the eibach sportline springs

I agree.....But keep in mind that you'll have a lot of issues with ground clearance, supension travel, ride quality, and finding shocks that were designed to work within that limited range of travel......
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree.....But keep in mind that you'll have a lot of issues with ground clearance, supension travel, ride quality, and finding shocks that were designed to work within that limited range of travel......
Yea I know what you mean but honest if he's looking to drop it at 1.5" he's proably going to still have those problems anyway. At least with the ground clearance.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

if 1.5" is too much to lower it, what would you guys go to? 1"? i'm curious ... i have a stock suspension '99 z28. i just logged on here to research lowering it. i have to do some suspension maintenance in the near future (approx 200k miles on it) and wondered about lowering it at the same time that i swap in new bushings.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billscamaros
if 1.5" is too much to lower it, what would you guys go to? 1"? i'm curious ... i have a stock suspension '99 z28. i just logged on here to research lowering it. i have to do some suspension maintenance in the near future (approx 200k miles on it) and wondered about lowering it at the same time that i swap in new bushings.
I have a setup I'm going to do once my Bilstein shocks come in. New design BMR lowering springs and Bilstein shocks. The BMR lower the car 1.25" Just hope it turns out okay and don't beat me up to bad, hopefully not at all. Bill the reason why we say 1.5" is too much is because if you at LT's or an after market exhaust it hangs lower than the stock most of the time. That's why you see guys buying higher dollar header's and higher dollar catbacks so hopefully they don't lose much clearance. So if you go with LT's you may lose a tid of clearance and then you go down to 1.5"-1.8" then you start scraping everywhere and then that takes the fun out of driving the car and then you won't want to drive it cause it gets so annoying and you get tired of dealing with it and sometimes no matter how slow you go over a speed bump or how good you cut it you scrape. But it kinda depends on the exhaust setup as well. Did mean to hi-jack the thread.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the other hand, saying that you want to lower a car a specific amount, based on a spring manufacturer's estimated drop can be misleading. The reason I say this is because I've observed a LOT of Camaro/Firebirds over the years, and I truly believe that the stock ride height varies quite a bit.

Therefore, lowering a car 1.25", for example, if it's at the "high" end of production spec may actually put you maybe only 1/2" lower than a car that started out at the low end of the spec. Along that line, take a car that's already at the low end of the spec, and drop it the same 1.25", and you're "in the weeds".....
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
I have a setup I'm going to do once my Bilstein shocks come in. New design BMR lowering springs and Bilstein shocks. The BMR lower the car 1.25" Just hope it turns out okay and don't beat me up to bad, hopefully not at all. Bill the reason why we say 1.5" is too much is because if you at LT's or an after market exhaust it hangs lower than the stock most of the time. That's why you see guys buying higher dollar header's and higher dollar catbacks so hopefully they don't lose much clearance. So if you go with LT's you may lose a tid of clearance and then you go down to 1.5"-1.8" then you start scraping everywhere and then that takes the fun out of driving the car and then you won't want to drive it cause it gets so annoying and you get tired of dealing with it and sometimes no matter how slow you go over a speed bump or how good you cut it you scrape. But it kinda depends on the exhaust setup as well. Did mean to hi-jack the thread.
Not only that, but you give up comfort too. When you drop the car by a certain amount, you ask the suspension to work in even more of a limited range. This means stiffer springs rates and a rougher ride....or for certain lowering springs, too lose of spring rates and bottoming out the suspension on small bumps.

1.25 does seem to be a good drop on these cars

Quick Reply: what else do i need to lower my car 1.5in?