Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SFC's? which ones to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFC's? which ones to buy?

I was wondering what company you guys went with for your sub frame conectors? Did you also go with weld on or bolt on?

My car is gunna see the trakc 2-3 times a month but its also my dd for the summer. I also see now that there 3 point connectors.

Thanks in advanced

Edit: its a 94 formula hardtop.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

i have BMR WELD IN TUBULAR BARS! THEY FIT PERFECT AND I LOVE THEM.. THEY HUG THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR AND DON'T RIDE LOW..
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a really good deal on some SLP Bolt-ins a couple years ago. They fit really well and were pretty simple to install. I do recall having to oval out one of the holes in order to reinstall one of the underbody brace bolts. Not too tough. I'm happy with them.

Although, if was gonna go with something other than SLP, I'd look at UMI's tubular SFC's. They look like a very nice piece. I believe my bro plans to get a set of powdercoated red ones for his '02 35th SS. You'll never see them from outside the car, but once you're underneath, they'll look great.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Now on sfc's'do they go on the bottom or do they mount on the side? My buddy has some slp ones and his drag on everything, but his car is also lowered. But i want to lower mine also. I'll prolly go with the bmr's'.

Now do they interfere with any crossmembers? Like for my trans? So i buy the weld in ones and i have to remove my trans.. Will they get in the way??
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UMI 2pt tubulars here. Great fit and no loss of clearance. Of course I'm a little biased. I only have UMI stuff.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Bmr boxed weld ins here

Not sure what you mean by bottom or side, are you talkin about bottom or side of the subframes? If so then weld ins wled to the bottom of the front and weld/bolt to the rear lca mounts
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torchie94
Now on sfc's'do they go on the bottom or do they mount on the side?
The SFCs mount under the car. Normally they attach at the front subframe end and the rear LCA front mounting point. The three point style have an additional spot where they attach at the underbody brace mounting points.

Now do they interfere with any crossmembers? Like for my trans? So i buy the weld in ones and i have to remove my trans.. Will they get in the way??
I don't see how my SLP's could interfere with removal of the tranny or any other underbody component. But if by some chance they do, the convenience of the bolt in style is they can be removed.

My buddy has some slp ones and his drag on everything, but his car is also lowered. But i want to lower mine also. I'll prolly go with the bmr's'...
I can't see, no matter how low your car is, how he could be dragging his SFCs. They are tucked-up so tight underneath, if you were to drag them on anything you would bottom-out and end up hanging the car up.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have bmr weld in tubular bars! They fit perfect and i love them.. They hug the bottom of the car and don't ride low..
x3!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

UMI three point. First, I like UMI's stuff and quality and love their customer support. Second, I feel there are advantages to tying everything together in the center, floorboards to subframe connectors to torque arm relocation bar to torque arm. It takes the stress off the sheet metal of the body.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 03-14-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Launching!

i got bmr and love them
Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
UMI three point. First, I like UMO's stuff and quality and love their customer support. Second, I feel there are advantages to tying everything together in the center, floorboards to subframe connectors to torque arm relocation bar to torque arm. It takes the stress off the sheet metal of the body.
I agree and have been going with UMI stuff so far including their 3 point subframe connectors and tunnel mounted torque arm.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have UMI bolt on sfc's(2 point) and then I welded them in.They tuck up really nice.I think if I had to do it again I would use 3 point.They have really good products and great customer service.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

All kinds of different opinions on whats best, but I went with the normal tubular bolt-in ones from UMI. They aren't on the car yet, but the reason I went with bolt-in is so I can put them on the car myself, then have them welded in place. No matter what type of SFCs you go with, they should be welded in place because what will happen over time if they are only held by bolts is the stress put on the bolt holes will cause them to elongate, thus defeating the purpose of the SFCs.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-14-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

I have SLP 3 pts,they were on the car when I got it and they are nice..If I had to get a set I would go with UMI . all my other stuff is UMI.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks everyone for the great comments. Like mentioned above we do offer a variety of sub-frame connectors. A lot of people ask which is the best to get bolt on or weld on??? And the reason why we offer both is because. Our customers not always have access to a welder. And that is when we suggest going with the bolt ones. And then later on if needed have them welded.

We also offer a 3 point SFC that ties all of the weak points of the chassis together. They were manufactured in mind for the High HP street cars and Serious Race applications.

But no matter which ones you choose will will not go wrong. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ex&cPath=7_113

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
i have BMR WELD IN TUBULAR BARS! THEY FIT PERFECT AND I LOVE THEM.. THEY HUG THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR AND DON'T RIDE LOW..
x2!