Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting a coil off (I know)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting a coil off (I know)

So my friend (this is how all posts like these start, right?) told me that cutting off just one coil on each spring will not noticeably degrade ride quality. However he did not do this on an F-Body or to Strano springs, has anyone done this before? And did you grind off the top part afterwards to make the surface flat? Not sure if the heat would affect the metal. Pictures would be great. My setup is Strano springs, Koni 4/4

and no, he is not one of those ricers, he and a friend put together a very nice 91 MR2 Turbo. He has put together suspension setups for many different cars and his MR2 rides like a dream, and handles amazingly and it isn't harsh at all, even going over potholes. It was lowered two inches or so, this is how it sat. This is actually his old car, but it has the same suspension setup.... it did not rub at this height, the marks on the tire were from when he tried lowering it a bit more than this.

I want to see an F-Body sit like that, with the tires sitting flush with the fenders.... or at least get closer to that point.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say maybe the eibach sportline springs may do it!!! Hell IDK
Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the spring rates on the Stranos are set where they are for a reason and you WILL be increasing the spring rate for sure by taking a coil off. How much I don't know specifically but I can't imagine it being insignificant. Something that may be somewhat on your side is that the strano rear springs are actually some of the softer ones around IIRC. The car will probably still be a bit oversprung though if you take out an entire coil. Would it be better than using eibach sportlines? As bad as the sportlines suck I'd imagine so assuming you cut them the "right" way with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder and don't heat the spring up too much in the process. It doesn't take much to be better and I suppose they would at least *I think* still be a fixed rate spring instead of progressive like Sportlines. I definitely wouldn't do it, but if you absolutely must have your car lower than it is it may sort of work. Remember, the stranos already lower it 1.3 inches and f-cars really can't be lowered all that far without issues so you'll likely be just about riding on the bump stops. Sorry I don't have more solid info but its not really something many people try.

P.S. your user name is awesome.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-16-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

The Sportlines suuuckkkkk. I have front and reas coming off my car this morning. They set great but ride like somethins ***!! I would cut a coil before I ever go this route again!!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys... figured it wasn't that popular but worth asking. I was expecting to get flamed maybe, but I'm glad I wasn't.

heh, came up with my username ages ago and it just stuck.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly it totally depends on the car. Cutting the springs does change the rate and in some cars that’s actually beneficial if they started out too soft from the factory. Springs that have progressive spring rates should NEVER be cut because they are designed for a given vehicle and ride height. Beyond just the spring height you now also have the issue that the shocks are at a ride height that they were not designed for which also very negatively affects ride quality. It may not be that the ride quality is adversely affected by the springs as much as they are the combination of the increased spring rate combined with improper dampening by the shocks/struts once the car is lowered.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

would cutting a stock pair of v6 springs work good? i have a set from a 99
Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About 16-17 years ago, when I still had my '85 Firebird, I installed a set of Suspension Techniques lowering springs. The front dropped to a good level, however the rear was a bit high, and the car had a forward "rake". I contacted ST, and they asked how much lower the car needed to be, and told me to return the springs to them, and they'd make the necessary "adjustment", to get the rear at the desired height. Naturally, the "adjustment" was the removal of a portion of a coil, they just wanted to make sure it was done correctly....
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
So my friend (this is how all posts like these start, right?) told me that cutting off just one coil on each spring will not noticeably degrade ride quality. However he did not do this on an F-Body or to Strano springs, has anyone done this before? And did you grind off the top part afterwards to make the surface flat? Not sure if the heat would affect the metal. Pictures would be great. My setup is Strano springs, Koni 4/4

and no, he is not one of those ricers, he and a friend put together a very nice 91 MR2 Turbo. He has put together suspension setups for many different cars and his MR2 rides like a dream, and handles amazingly and it isn't harsh at all, even going over potholes. It was lowered two inches or so, this is how it sat. This is actually his old car, but it has the same suspension setup.... it did not rub at this height, the marks on the tire were from when he tried lowering it a bit more than this.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...717_565038.jpg

I want to see an F-Body sit like that, with the tires sitting flush with the fenders.... or at least get closer to that point.
Look under your car and see how much travel you have before you hit your bump stops, then imagine if the tires were flush with the fenders. Now you know why you don't see that with our cars...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Look under your car and see how much travel you have before you hit your bump stops, then imagine if the tires were flush with the fenders. Now you know why you don't see that with our cars...

I agree....That MR2 might look cool, but run over anything in the road that's bigger than a fly, and your quarter panels will become your "bump stops"......
Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree....That MR2 might look cool, but run over anything in the road that's bigger than a fly, and your quarter panels will become your "bump stops"......
This.... Also I'm sure that wouldn't allow you to run anything bigger than a 255 or so tire?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lemons12
This.... Also I'm sure that wouldn't allow you to run anything bigger than a 255 or so tire?
Good point. I'm not sure just how much his choices would be narrowed but I really have my doubts that a 275+ tire would have much chance of fitting. If it did it would probably be hella tight. And not in a good way

Well the spring rates on the Stranos are set where they are for a reason and you WILL be increasing the spring rate for sure by taking a coil off.
Actually I think I may need to correct myself here. When you cut a progressive rate spring you do change the spring rate, and often have no idea really what you'll end up with. This is largely where cut springs get their terrible reputation from because most cars come with progressive rate springs. But on a linear rate spring I am not totally sure why the rate would change. Or if it did not too significantly so long as you cut them properly like I said earlier with a cutoff wheel and didn't let anything heat up too much. In fact, there's A LOT of 03/04 cobras running around with cut stock springs because they came with linear rate and I actually haven't heard anybody complain about the ride quality. They usually take off half-3/4 or so of a coil but its going to vary on the spring of course how much it takes to lower X amount. If you decide to try it, I'd just say make sure you do it right and be careful, because it would probably be easy to take off too much.

VERDICT: Granted this is not from personal experience, but as far as I can tell/think, using a linear rate lowering spring and cutting some off would probably yield better results than Eibach Sportlines, which are really your only other option for getting as low as they go. Do you want to be that low in the first place? That's debatable.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-21-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Funny,, I have a 91 mr2 also. its pretty low on its own and rides very tight on 17's with some rubber bands.
As for your friends car remeber alot of the harsh wieght is spread out really well (being mid engine) on that car so it wont bottom out as easy as a big ol trans am. Its alot easyer to keep the mr2 lower then heavyer front engine car.
Not sure about 4th gen fbodys but in my 3rd gen irocz i cut a half of a coil on my front dropzone lowering springs and it looked awsome,,, but was pretty much too low,, in a month it rode on the stops so much they tore apart then the tire started to eat the inner fender plastic. and the header y pipe liked to play tag with the smallest of speed bumps. if your ganna start cuttin,,, its better to cut up a lowering spring as you wont need to take off much at all.... but then again there lore $$$ and if you cut off too much your screwed.
funny thing is not once have i hit the bump stops on the mr2
Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Teching In

well u can go the route i went. n get a set of the adjustable ground controls? and pick your own spring rate. they use eibach springs and let u adjust the height to exactly what u want.

Quick Reply: Cutting a coil off (I know)