Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stupid to not get subframe connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid to not get subframe connectors?

Aight since im about to dump several K in mods in (below list + bmr lca/phr/stb) and pay a good mechanic to install tune it all, given that i have a ttop 00 z28, would i be retarded to skip the subframe connectors?

What about fitmet with longtubes/ory? I hear some are problematic?

I'd go weld on, i know better than to use bolt on crap. Should i just let the mechanic pick a brand so i dont have to deal with "it dont fit/rubs/etc".

The live axle feels really loose (compared the the IDR on our 2002 330ci) and the body flex i guess thats just crappy unibody design or something (i come from german cars where things are pretty tight).

Whats the best type of subframe connector that will keep the wheels planted. I am going for better handling (within reason on a drag type car) and trying to eliminate wheel hop on the nitto's when i'm the track to give my rear end and tranny the best chance it has.

I expect to run 12.0's when all the mods/ls1edit tuned, thats about it, i dont care to get kicked off the track for no cage.

The car kinda sucks floppy in handling as it is. i know its heavy, and i know the 555R sidewalls leave something to desire, i am gonna keep 16" since theres alot more sidewall and the SHOW $$ is nill, if i need to add more parts to keep the GO in one piece.

I'd be pissed if i took it to the track and wheel hopped the rear end into pieces or blew the tranny on the first event, so gimme some advice.

i know the SLP subframes are nice and expensive, but have fitment issues, i'm on a budget after spending gads of money on these mods, so what do you suggest for the cheapest, but acceptable sub frame connector thats weld on?

I chose pacesetter LT's over Hooker's because of budget, and i felt that was an acceptable sacrifice, since i might drag every other weekend at maximum.

okay so i spilled the beans, hook me up with some solid advice..

Don't want fitment issues, dont want $300-400 SFC's, but don't want trash bolt on crap that won't be effective for long.

peace
Old 01-01-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's no BMW (I'm thinking of going back to an Audi as a driver soon, but I like the 330CI, it is near the top of my list), but it can be made quite fast for reasonably cheap (the F-body). I would absolutely put connectors on it. If, due to space concerns, you fear the SLP style connectors (I like my SLP weld in connectors), you may want to consider the LG Motorsports setup. You can do the connectors and optionally add the cross braces and driveshaft loop. That way, if they cause problems with your headers, you can remove the center braces. And, LG is (or was) having a suspension/chassis parts sale right now (unless it ended yesterday, give them a call).

My thoughts.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

I ordered my G2 SFCs and V brace yesterday. After doing a lot of searches on here, I had the same concerns with header clearance, but my understanding is that G2 does not have that issue. Also, they are tubular weld ins so no bolts to deal with on the SFCs and no clearance issues either. As Trackbird said, if there is a problem with header clearance then you can just remove the V brace.

The sale ends tomorrow. Trust me for the quality you can't beat the price with the sale they are having.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

my 01.5 a4 outhandled the 330ci by a long margin. with 17's and factory sport suspension and celebration package.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

got a link to the G2 sfc deal? I must be stupid hungover today. can't seem to find it.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by samz28
my 01.5 a4 outhandled the 330ci by a long margin. with 17's and factory sport suspension and celebration package.
I'm thinking S4 or A4 with the full sport package (and more boost).
Old 01-01-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

got a link to the G2 sfc deal? I must be stupid hungover today. can't seem to find it.
You usually have to call and mention the LS1Tech sale. Or do an online order and tell them you want the LS1tech 25% off sale price in the memo on the order (then call them as a follow up in the morning).

Have fun!

This may help:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/117749-christmas-sale-lg-motorsports-g2-suspension.html
Old 01-03-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

GET THE SFCS!!!!!!!! They make the car feel brand new again, no bullshit. I decided to go with the BMr tubular weld-on SFC powder coated black and I love them. Most of my squeeks and rattles went away and my t-tops fit much snugger. Unfortunatley I waited until I had 17k miles to install them. The BMrs are tubular so they are not heavy and you can't see them unless you lay down next to the car. There is NO interferrence with anything!
Old 01-03-2004, 11:34 PM
wrencher

Have you ever been in a F-body with them?
Must not have, you wouldn't have started this thread.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:50 AM
TECH Resident

That's the truth! Hands down, the SFC's were the best mod for the suspension I have done. Period. Had I known how tight the car would feel, I would have done them years ago. I got the BMR boxed weld-on style. There will be a million different opinions as to which are better than which, but for the money you cannot beat them. There are no fitment issues with my LT's and you can't see them hanging down either.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jabroni
That's the truth! Hands down, the SFC's were the best mod for the suspension I have done. Period. Had I known how tight the car would feel, I would have done them years ago. I got the BMR boxed weld-on style. There will be a million different opinions as to which are better than which, but for the money you cannot beat them. There are no fitment issues with my LT's and you can't see them hanging down either.
Do you have a link to them? Im looking for good boxed connectors, Are those the kind that allow you to use your jack with them?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

how do you order the welded ones? I noticed the 10% sale at thunder or tsp but they didnt specify weld on or bolt on boxed?

(same with tubular) do we have to call and ask? im not putting any bolt on crap on
Old 01-04-2004, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

BMR only makes weld in and are available as either boxed or tubular. Most of the major vendors carry BMR products and there is always some type of GP on their products.

My understanding is you can use a jack on either. Obviously the boxed will give you a flatter surface to jack on. This is assuming you want to scratch up that beautiful powdercoating.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

it was my understanding it is best to place the subframes on under the lift along with the car (Duh) and flex the chassis before welding them on? At least thats how i've always seen it done on the stangs.. any ideas?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Teching In

it was my understanding it is best to place the subframes on under the lift along with the car (Duh) and flex the chassis before welding them on? At least thats how i've always seen it done on the stangs.. any ideas?
how do you flex the chassis?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

You think your car doesn't flex when its lifted several feet off the air?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do not want to do that.

the proper way is:

Drive car on drive on lift
Weld subs on
Drive car off lift.

you do not want to use a 4 point lift for sub installation.

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Stupid to not get subframe connectors?