Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering car on stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering car on stock shocks?

I was thinking about getting some different springs for the car. I have newer shocks on it now and was just curious if I should buy an all new shorter set? Looking to go down somewhere between 1-1.5.

Also, would cause a problem if I had 17x11's on the rear?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not really shorter shocks, it's shocks that are built to work in a certain operating range. Stock shocks on lowering springs will probably ride like crap and not handle well....if you're just looking for looks, then go for it. As far as the wheels, an adjustable PHB would be a good idea to keep the rear centered and avoid rubbing problems, otherwise, the BFH or something may be required, but I don't know.

I would recommend at least SLP Bilsteins or KYB AGX shocks to go with lowering springs, with Koni 4/4's or 4/3's at the top. For springs, the Eibach LT1 prokit and Strano/BMR springs are the best, with Strano being about the #1 recommended on here. THey all lower close to 1.25" I think.

Hope this helps. There's a lot of information out there if you want to search.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Stock Decarbons do not work well w/ lowering springs nor will they last long...do it right the 1st time...KYB's are pretty good/inexpensive...Im doing pretty well so far w/ cheap Monroe's...thats also an option if your tight on cash.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep the stockers will not last long on lowering springs. Go search around in suspension and there are tons of threads about the subject in there......
Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks. I was pretty set on buying the spring/shock set off the slp website. I'm sure that it'll hurt my times at the strip if its lowered though, wouldn't it?

I plan on doing everything right the first time, I've seen what happens to people who cut corners. I got a good deal on this one owner SS a couple months ago that has quite a bit down to it already (other guy bought a new z06). I have just never really done any moding to a car, I've always built lifted trucks.

Quick Reply: lowering car on stock shocks?