Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need more braking power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more braking power?

Hello. I have a 2000 camaro ss and want some more braking power. I currently have all new slotted rotors, HAWK HPS pads, Earls stainless steel braided lines, new master cylinder and fluid. I want some more braking power but i cannot swap to a larger brake caliper or rotor because i have 15" Bogart slicks and skinnies that won't fit behind anything other than the stock sized system. Am i screwed with the braking power i have now or is there anything else i can do? I heard people using stock size F-body rotors with C5 Z06 calipers. Does this do anything? Please help, thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could switch to better calipers such as Brembo but if you dont want to upgrade the rotor size I'd say your setup is pretty good IMHO. Also make sure your rotors are not crap rotors. There are alot of "pretty" rotors that can be had off of ebay but they are made with China steel which is junk. Brembo rotors are a good brand of rotor, or anyone who uses the Brembo blanks to drill and slot is good also. Local auto parts stores have junk *** China rotors.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say you want more braking power what do you want the car to do? Most brakes can lock the rotors. The problem is when you do it more than few times. Do you want the car to stop faster? Can you lock the rotors? ABS or not?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

After a quarter mile blast I feel that I have trouble stopping my car for my track’s first exit. I brake hard and try to be at the point right before ABS kicks in and I just can’t seem to stop in time. Once ABS interferes, the braking force is much less and must less effectively at slowing the car down. How is the factory brake bias in these cars? Will I benefit from a adjustable brake bias so the rear may get more braking power? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Just a question for thought - how does your braking "feel" when you have a stock or non-skinny wheel/tire combo vs your skinny tires for your front wheels?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Change from HPS pads to HP+.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wforty94
After a quarter mile blast I feel that I have trouble stopping my car for my track’s first exit. I brake hard and try to be at the point right before ABS kicks in and I just can’t seem to stop in time. Once ABS interferes, the braking force is much less and must less effectively at slowing the car down. How is the factory brake bias in these cars? Will I benefit from a adjustable brake bias so the rear may get more braking power? Thanks for the help guys.
Its probably not helping any that you are on skinnies in the front. Think about how much contact patch you're giving up opposed to stock sized wheels.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
Just a question for thought - how does your braking "feel" when you have a stock or non-skinny wheel/tire combo vs your skinny tires for your front wheels?
not bad, but i could use more braking power. i figured i could give the rears a little more braking bias but that might upset the car's balance. if i brake too hard right now, the front is able to lock up the skinnies which is real bad. i feel that the ABS system interferes too early and when it does, the car doesn't stop good. i feel i can apply more braking power before anything close to tire lock up but ABS kicks in before i can test that. the pad's aren't fading or anything

Last edited by wforty94; 04-01-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What other suspension mods do you have? I've changed over my springs and struts/shocks to aftermarket and it feels like I could stop on a dime. No more nose dive helps alot!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

AFCO dual adjust front coilovers, 325lb. springs, AFCO dual adjust rear shocks, stock SLP SS rear springs/heater hose mod, UMI tunnel mounted torque arm, UMI rod/poly control arms, UMI 3-point subframe connectors, UMI rod/poly panhard bar, UMI relocation brackets, Spohn sway bar, poly front and rear sway bar end links, and a Moser 9”. Alignment is good and set to stock settings.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The front of the car stops it. The weight transfers to the front under braking. With skinnies the ABS will kick in fast. The ABS is the bias. It should keep the front tires from locking up. I think you should press hard on the pedal and let the ABS work. This should let the back tires stop, as much as weight transfer will allow. As always drag race and handling are two different things.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

if you want to spend a lil money get a set of 17in skinny's and get the corvette 13in set up
Old 04-01-2010, 06:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Change pads. HP Plus is an option, so are DTC30's. I carry both. They have similar bite, but the 30's are a little stronger and also more linear (read easier to modulate should you care about that).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Need more braking power?