Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Serious amateur to cars and suspension...need install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious amateur to cars and suspension...need install help

When I purchased this car (in my sig) I knew it was going to need new rear breaks. I bought some cross driller rotors and hawk pads...how the heck do I install them?

Do i need to bleed the brakes? if so, how? Looking for some basic info here...search only yielded brake comparisons and the like.

Thank you!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shouldnt need to bleed the brakes, you dont even need to open the lines. Remove the calipers and use a C-clamp and an old pad, compress the caliper piston until it bottoms out, when it gets hard give it 1/4 turn every 5-10 seconds you will see when its fully compressed, also it wont get easy to turn anymore. Thats it, put your new brakes and rotors on, bolt it back up and enjoy.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ not bad info, but you should also check the pins that the caliper bolts to.

You have a caliper and a caliper bracket. There are two smaller bolts that attach the caliper to the bracket. When you get those bolts out and pull the caliper off, you should be able to grab the two slide pins and move them in and out easily. If you cant you will need to free them up and grease them down. Then remove the caliper bracket followed by the rotor.

Just reverse the removal procedure for installation.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes make sure you put some grease on those pins every time you do do a brake job. If you dont they will seize to that caliper bracket in time and you will end up replacing the bracket. I just dab some wheel bearing grease on mine, slide them back in and put the protective rubber boot back on the lip.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Also when you're changing the rotors do not let the calipers hang by the brake line use a hanger or zip tie or anything else you can find to hold the caliper