Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best SFC's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best SFC's?

I’m getting SFC's, and I want to make sure I get the best and strongest kind. This is for a drag setup aimed at high 9's

I know different people prefer different kinds and brands, but I don’t want to have to redo them (did a lot of searches on here, some dude wanted to cut them off his car and get a diff kind)
Old 01-07-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd vote BMR tubular for dragracing since they're light and very strong. Tubular steel is stronger than square tubing or boxed in comparable sizes. Someone once explained it to me as trying to twist a square paper tube the same size as the SFC's, then trying to twist a cardboard paper towel tube of about the same size. You can easily twist the square tube, but it takes a lot more force to twist the round tube.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Quote from BMR:

"Which one do I choose? - While you can't go wrong with either design, use the following to determine your order: If strength is your number one priority, choose the boxed design. Boxed tubing is torsionally stronger than round tubing however you will lose approximately 3/4" of ground clearance when using this style. If your car is lowered and ground clearance is the prime concern, go with the tubular model. While round tubing is not as strong torsionally, there are other features to these subframe connectors that make them more rigid than most other tubular models available."

Are you saying the oposite? Im confused
Old 01-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

if you think about it:

on the car, the SFC is not bieng twisted. it is bieng compressed. that is where the box design is going to be stronger. when compressed, it will try to bend. a tube design is going to be easier to bend compared to a box design.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Kenny Brown Double Diamonds
Old 01-07-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

I have to believe that boxed are stronger than tubular. Diamond subframe connectors will be the best for strength
Old 01-07-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jonel-30thWS6
Are you saying the oposite? Im confused
I'm no expert but I think torsionally given the same size tubing the round will be stronger. I think their quote stems from their square tubing being larger and not the same design as the round.
You also have to consider that they have to sell both kinds, and if they said that the turbular was stronger, lighter, and I think cheaper, how would they ever sell the heavier, more expensive square tubing SFC's?

Roll cages are made of round tubing for a reason, if square was better I'm sure every form or racing would make their roll cages/frames out of square tubing.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 01-07-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The square SFC's are stronger for our cars than the tubular ones. Either way, I would not go with either, but I would head for the Kenny Brown SFC's, they mount to the tunnel brace locations and will really stop body twisting during launches for 9 second runs.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kb Dd!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

I just received the LG SFCs with the V-braces and DS loop.I have not installed them as of yet.They are not quite the quality I had expected ( I have very high expectations I guess). In my opinion the welds look bad and are incomplete,there is alot of spatter present(the spatter is under the poweder coat) and the powder coat is chipped up quite a bit.I can't really say much about their affectiveness and fitment until they are installed obviously. I think I will be sending pictures to LG and possibly posting pictures this weekend.I might not be installing these as they sit.

I have seen some pictures of horribly twisted KB DD SFCs. I do not know for sure whether that was a result of poor craftsmanship or a bad install though.

SLP SFCs are pretty damn heavy otherwise they receive high marks from LS1tech members

No experience with SPOHN

As of right now I do not think there is a "best" SFC on the market.

Last edited by lerajie; 01-09-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely give Lou some feedback. That's the kind of stuff he needs to know.

I have boxed SFCs ... I use them to jack up the car NASCAR style

Quick Reply: Best SFC's?