Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me stop the awful squeal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me stop the awful squeal

I've done some research around the site already, but i still can't stop my brakes from squeaking. I had powerslot rotors installed with hawk ceramic pads last year, and ever since they've been squeaking. I went through the break in process when they were installed. Moderate brake from 50, then a strong brake from 50 (repeated a few times). I tried putting compound on the back of the brake pads to stop the rattle. This worked for about 2 days and then the squeal returned. I tried re breaking them in today, doing several moderate 50-0 stops, then a few 50-0 hard stops. After doing that, the squeal stopped for awhile but then it started to come back when i was close to home. Does that brake combination just always result in a squeal? Also, i took a picture of my rotor. It looks like something might possibly be in the brake pad? Look a little more than halfway down, theres a little groove forming. Please help.
Attached Thumbnails Help me stop the awful squeal-img_3037.jpg   Help me stop the awful squeal-img_3044.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Launching!

i have found that sometimes you can shave off the edges of the pads and the squeal goes away, and i also put a little bit of nickel grease (a paste lube) on the metal parts of the pads where contact is made.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

shaving the edges of the pads will help and they make a liquid that you apply to the friction side of the pads that works really good... i can't remember the name off the top of my head but i will find out... basically you paint it on the pads and let it soak in and dry for 15-20 mins then put everything back together... it has worked pretty good for when i have used it at work but this is on a factory pad, so depending on your pads and the materials they are made of you might just have to deal with the squeaking no matter what... pads that stop really well will usually make noise and/or create alot of brake dust
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neutron82
shaving the edges of the pads will help and they make a liquid that you apply to the friction side of the pads that works really good... i can't remember the name off the top of my head but i will find out... basically you paint it on the pads and let it soak in and dry for 15-20 mins then put everything back together... it has worked pretty good for when i have used it at work but this is on a factory pad, so depending on your pads and the materials they are made of you might just have to deal with the squeaking no matter what... pads that stop really well will usually make noise and/or create alot of brake dust
That product is probably very similar to the "break in" coating that some pads come with from the factory. I know EBC pads use a "break in" coating, and Bendix pads have blue compound thats supposed to help bed in the pads properly.