Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C6 Z06 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Z06 brakes

I know that they had pad issues, and that people have made single pads for them, but I am looking to upgrade both front and rear brakes for aesthetic reasons. I will track the car occasionally, but nothing competitive that I'd be uncomfortable doing on stock brakes. Anyways, how are these brakes generally? Are there a better alternative? I was thinking about powdercoating a set of CTS-V brakes, but don't know what to put in the rear. I would like to keep parking brake, but more so would I like to keep traction control.

I've been out of the game for a while, what is a good system? I searched for rear brake upgrades and C6 Z06 brakes to no avail. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kore 3 has a full front and rear c6 z06 brake setup for f-bodies. Hopefully that helps ya
Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's hard to beat a good 4 pot caliper. Especially the CTS-V...I say that because it's a common brembo block, so there are a TON of pad options (brands and compounds). I have them on my LS1 swapped '91.

The C6Z brakes are decent (in stock trim). A couple manufactures offer performance pads for them. Carbotech offers a 1 piece pad (gets rid of the padlets) that makes a HUGE difference. The C6Z with this 1 piece pad (even in their street compound), is REALLY good on the street and track. That being said, I will have to add that it's expensive. It's a one off pad, that fits nothing else...so it's pricey. The CTS-V pads will be much cheaper (because it fits so much).

I want to say Ed Miller was working on rear conversions for both those calipers, but I'm not sure. You might want to contact him. I think, as stated above, Kore3 has it too.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

the CTS-V rears are bolt in? I had no idea. I'm going to have to go back through the threads cause I couldn't find anything regarding it in search.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

The C6Z rear is bolt in (I think), but I don't believe the CTS-V is. I think Ed was working on a conversion bracket (I didn't see anything about it on Kore3's site).
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

awesome. thanks for the info!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem...good luck!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kore3 will make a one offbracket to fit the CTS-v rears with a 13in c4 rotor on the f-bodies. You just have to email them and talk with them, but it gets pricey just for the bracket. Look up my posts in the sticky, I mentioned it there too.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Peter- I didn't know that, but my friend yesterday talked me into doing fronts first and waiting for someone to make a bracket for the rear, and then getting it powdercoated. This is the best solution for me. I want red brakes, but don't want only red fronts. I think that is silly. This way, I can have my upgraded brakes in the meantime, and when Kore3 or another company starts mass producing the rear bracket, I will pick up rear calipers. I was unaware that they did this though, and is probably good information for someone else. I'll be sure to check in next year with Kore 3.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Peter- I didn't know that, but my friend yesterday talked me into doing fronts first and waiting for someone to make a bracket for the rear, and then getting it powdercoated. This is the best solution for me. I want red brakes, but don't want only red fronts. I think that is silly. This way, I can have my upgraded brakes in the meantime, and when Kore3 or another company starts mass producing the rear bracket, I will pick up rear calipers. I was unaware that they did this though, and is probably good information for someone else. I'll be sure to check in next year with Kore 3.

Thanks for the info.

No problem, they told me they had made a set for another person and were able to fit everything with no issues. The only issue though is that they offer 2 or 3 channels, so if you have a TCS and e-brake you can only run one or the other. (I do not understand why, just what I was told).
But I want to pick up a set whenever someone mass produces them and prices drop as well, I just cannot justify spending that much on just brackets.
Also they told me alot of their stuff is not listed on their website (for whatever reason), so emailing or calling and seeing what they have would be the best way to make sure they haven't started making these.

btw...I was hesitant to do the fronts and have just stock sized rotors/calipers on the rears, esp since I had the cross-drilled baer eradispeeds. I worried that having the direction of the holes going in opposite directions would look funny on one side, but I finally did the swap and love the brakes. And no one has mentioned the fact that on one side, the cross-drilled holes run in different directions.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Restricted User

Kore3 makes brackets (not one-offs) for mounting the C6Z rear calipers to the f-body rear. I actually had them two years ago, and never got around to mounting them before I got laid off and sold all the C6Z parts for cash that I needed at the time. Through Kore3, you can get everything you need for a 4-corner setup with C6Z parts. That said, good luck finding wheels that will fit with those beasts on. You are basically limited to real C6Z wheels, or custom forged wheels (unless you want to use a ridiculously thick adapter to push your wheels out).

I was under the impression that the CTS-V rear calipers would work with the C6Z rotor and same adapter in the rear. I can't verify that from experience though.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Would love to see pics of someone who has done a 4 corner C6Z setup...
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Kore3 makes brackets (not one-offs) for mounting the C6Z rear calipers to the f-body rear. I actually had them two years ago, and never got around to mounting them before I got laid off and sold all the C6Z parts for cash that I needed at the time. Through Kore3, you can get everything you need for a 4-corner setup with C6Z parts. That said, good luck finding wheels that will fit with those beasts on. You are basically limited to real C6Z wheels, or custom forged wheels (unless you want to use a ridiculously thick adapter to push your wheels out).

I was under the impression that the CTS-V rear calipers would work with the C6Z rotor and same adapter in the rear. I can't verify that from experience though.
The CTS-v rears require a different bracket than the c6z06 caliper. The fronts are different too, the CTS-v will bolt up with 2 washers as spacers. The C6z06 fronts require a bracket.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

no that theres the 6 piston brembos for the new cts-v and ZR1 I wonder much different of a bolt on it would be.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let's not forget that if you add those brakes in the rear, then you're opening yourself up for bias issues again, and big pad knockback issues.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brakes