Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension upgrade

Just wondering what some of you guys thought of the edelbrock pro touring suspension package. I'm not looking for a drag race setup, but the ability to handle the road and take a turn well. I know there are many options, and I have been doing my own research on this, but I am interested in the opinions of those who have gone through similar upgrades.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ion/kits.shtml
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

its nothing you cant get anywhere else
Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZForce1
Just wondering what some of you guys thought of the edelbrock pro touring suspension package. I'm not looking for a drag race setup, but the ability to handle the road and take a turn well. I know there are many options, and I have been doing my own research on this, but I am interested in the opinions of those who have gone through similar upgrades.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ion/kits.shtml
If its handling you want the absolute first things you should be looking to get is replacing the weakest link, the stock shocks. Good performance shocks (Konis for example) will make the biggest difference out of anything you could do.
Search around some more and you will notice that the guys into handling run very similar setups when it comes to spring rates, swaybars and shocks.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Launching!

thanks, I'll keep looking around. Koni's seem to be predominantly recommended here. They must be worth it then.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

The Eldebrock IAS is a pretty good kit by it's self, this pro touring kit has all the supporting mods with it...cool

Or Sam Strano sells the Eldebrock IAS kit and all the same supporting mods but you'd get hollow sways vs solid bars + some of the parts in that pro kit you may or may not need like the SFC & torque arm. I'd give Sam a call and talk about your goals and he may be able to get you where you want to be with less parts and less $$.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have the eldebrock IAS...........all 4......BMR sways.......new moog rear spring.....spohn LCAs.....UMI PHB....UMI SFCs.....its tight i tell ya
Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Launching!

good to know. I think I have a direction on which way to go now. I just have to make sure the components I select work well together, which was one reason for considering the edelbrock kit, but I may not need everything in it. I may get springs from Strano. Maybe the Watts link kit, but money will be a big factor there...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

if you get eldebrock fronts.......you dont need springs.........a plus in my book
Old 05-24-2010, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed that are you looking into upgrading your suspension. And I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance has a wide variety of suspension parts that I am sure with meet your needs. And like mentioned above! If you are going to get a set of Konis then I would highly suggest looking into a set of Sam's Springs. Besides he carries our parts as well. And consider it a on stop shop. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...slk9gmff3d6aq7

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
Brad
Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

While the Eldebrock may not be THE best kit I thinks it's an under rated kit also. You can get the IAS kit for less than a set of Koni SA's and use your stock rear spring on the heater hose mod for a good .75" drop. Use UMI for LCA's & adj PHB and maybe relo brackets if you develope some wheel hop. If $$ are an issue Watts links aren't cheap and may need an adj rear sway bar.

A friend of mine had the IAS kit on his firebird and loved it.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

I think I 'll go with the Edelbrock IAS shocks, coilover's front. Rear, the heater hose mod is tempting, just about the amount of drop I want back there. I'll think about it. I'll likely get some supporting components from UMI. It should hangle pretty well when it's all done.

Quick Reply: suspension upgrade