Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tell me about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tell me about lowering

So I've been seeing pics of lowered cars, and I think it's the next mod for me. But I don't know anything about it.

How much should I lower it with my 16" rims without too many streetability problems? What about tire wear, and what can I do to counter it? How bad is this going to mess with my launches?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

The DMS springs are a good spring for both drop and the ride. They drop the car approximately 1.3" in the front and I haven't noticed much of a drop in the back. Almost like stock. To counter ire wear, you need a good alignment, that's about it.

Lowering springs will F up your launch, don't know the exact explanationa s to why, but after I lowered my car, launching was **** poor.

I recommend getting Lower Control Arm relocation brackets to improve launches as well as beefier LCAs.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The lower the car sits, the less weight transfer that takes place. That is what BigBlack is trying to say above.

My car is lowered approx 2" with some G2 springs and I'm on the stock 16s. It's too low for my daily driving. I wouldn't go any lower then a 1.5" drop.

Just get a good alignment after installing the springs and your tires will be fine. You will need to upgrade your shocks if you haven't already. The stockers don't live for long with aftermarket springs.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:49 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lowering won't affect launch's "that" much. I have seen cars pull 1.5 60 foots w/ Eibach prokits. All depends on the tire and the rest of your suspension setup...

I personally wouldn't run anything lower than 1.5 inch's all the way around. That's about perfect for giving the car an excellent stance, while remaining streetable without problems. I have a 2 inch drop on mine right now, and it's too low. Looks great, but I couldn't pull into McD's if I wanted to. I will be swapping them out for BMR springs shortly which are 1-1.25 drop..

josh
Old 01-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Launching!

g2s from lgmotorsports perfect height
Old 01-13-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

g2s are pretty much a 2" drop. I love the springs, but I will be getting rid of mine for something not as low.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

in my opinion, you should not lower your car without getting aftermarket shocks (bilstein's are probably your best bet). with lower-action springs on your car, your stock shocks will wear out quicker, and the ride quality will eventually suffer, if not right away. and trust me, it's not fun doing the install once, so i doubt you'll like to do it twice.

if i were you, i would find the springs you want to get, and if it's less than a 1.5" drop, then i would just install the rear springs, and leave everything else stock until you get the money to pay for the shocks. your ride won't suffer much at all, your rear shocks won't suffer much either, and you'll get rid of the jacked-up-in-the-rear truck look our camaro's have. hell, if you like the way it looks enough, you probably won't ever buy the shocks or install the front springs either

Quick Reply: Tell me about lowering