Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni 4/4s or DAs why or why not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Koni 4/4s or DAs why or why not?

Apologies if this was covered already, but what are the pros/cons of Koni 4/4s vs DAs -- why or why not? Why does it seem so many only get SAs (apart from cost)?

TIA!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Koni DA's aren't as durable as the SA's, but you can adjust the compression dampening independently from the rebound dampening.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Yes I know the two settings, but why do you say they are not as durable? What makes it so? What tends to fail earlier on DAs vs SAs?

Strano has this on his site:
"DA's are best suited for cars with greater mass than original. If you have a heavier rear axle, heavier wheels and tires, or have added weight to the car via an iron block or blower-- considering DA's is wise to help deal with that greater mass."

Is there any other input others have from experience with both?

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The Koni DA's aren't as durable as the SA's, but you can adjust the compression dampening independently from the rebound dampening.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Let me answer by asking you a question: What does compression damping control? What do you gain, performance wise for having it?

If you can answer that question, then we can talk about DA's over SA's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for jumping in, but compression controls the upward motion of the suspension, correct?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

It controls compression:
http://www.tootechracing.com/how_doe...by_too_tec.htm

As for the performance gain, it controls the suspension's behavior traveling up the bump, right? So I am not sure if there is much of a gain?

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Let me answer by asking you a question: What does compression damping control? What do you gain, performance wise for having it?

If you can answer that question, then we can talk about DA's over SA's.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-30-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

What does compression damping control?

To me you're controling the rate in which the spring is compressed.

But if someone has taken the time to understand how the shock compresses the spring and developed a spring utilizing the valving that's preset on the compression stroke why mess with it, at that point we only need to control the rate in which the spring rebounds, which makes things much more simple.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

If that's the case, that makes a lot of sense. But does it apply for stock SS springs as well? At the moment, I have no lowering plans...

Originally Posted by redracer1
What does compression damping control?

To me you're controling the rate in which the spring is compressed.

But if someone has taken the time to understand how the shock compresses the spring and developed a spring utilizing the valving that's preset on the compression stroke why mess with it, at that point we only need to control the rate in which the spring rebounds, which makes things much more simple.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
If that's the case, that makes a lot of sense. But does it apply for stock SS springs as well? At the moment, I have no lowering plans...
Good question.
In the case of Koni SA's they do a superior job to the stock de carbons on both compression & rebound with the stock spring. The stock springs really aren't to bad it's the stock shocks that are the weak link. Bilstein's which are a bit cheaper will do a much better job than the de carbon's but will also work well with a lowering spring but has no adj for either comp or rebound.

The point is if you ever do lower have a good shock to dampen the lowering/performance spring so you dont end up spending more $$ to replace shocks. Most guys spring for Koni's SA cause they do the best job for us for the price paid, be able to adj rebound, good warranty and are rebuildable. You build your suspension around your shock and spring package all the other elements are there as support to help them perform in one way or another., imo.