Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks for stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shocks for stock springs?

I'm looking for some suggestion on a shock to go with stock springs and maintain a decent ride quality. The car is pretty much a DD/cruiser so I don't need Konis. I had SLP bilstiens on my last car with stock springs and it rode like the wheels were bolted to the frame, I hated it. I am thinking about the AGX adjustables, but I have also heard they are cheap quality so I'm not sure about them. Anyone have some suggestions or experiences? Not looking for caddy ride but just decently comfortable.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like Koni SAs are the best bet, with full adjustment ability. Strano says the AGXs are crudely adjustable and not as good quality as Bilsteins, so there ya go.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you didn't like the ride of the bilstiens, you probably are looking to have to move toward an adjustable koni. Depends on how you drive though. I'd say the agx's should be fine though for a purely street cruiser.

Anything hard though would lean more towards the koni. Regardless, something adjustable to soften the ride would be a benefit.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm hoping to spend $500 or less for now, its street only and doesn't see any handling more than going around an exit onramp, I'm leaning towards the AGXs right now since they are in my price range.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I'm looking for some suggestion on a shock to go with stock springs and maintain a decent ride quality. The car is pretty much a DD/cruiser so I don't need Konis. I had SLP bilstiens on my last car with stock springs and it rode like the wheels were bolted to the frame, I hated it. I am thinking about the AGX adjustables, but I have also heard they are cheap quality so I'm not sure about them. Anyone have some suggestions or experiences? Not looking for caddy ride but just decently comfortable.

cars that are daily drivers would provide the best satisfaction with koni's. you get to enjoy them everyday. people who rule out konis because they "don't race or compete" are missing out on the best option available to them. And a good lifetime warranty ensures you buy once, not 2 or 3 times.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

If your current shocks are ok I'd be patient & save up a little more and opt for Koni SA 4/3 a little cheaper than the 4/4. Buy em from Sam and once your ready to install call him up and ask about settings since you'll need to set them prior to the install.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I'm hoping to spend $500 or less for now, its street only and doesn't see any handling more than going around an exit onramp, I'm leaning towards the AGXs right now since they are in my price range.
I don't know.. if you didn't like SLP bilstiens on stock springs I'd make sure you know what AGX's are going to ride like before buying them. With one **** adjusting both compression and rebound, I get the impression that those would ride worse than Bilstiens.

Just don't want to see you spend more money on something else that doesn't ride good for you
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM

I thought that the SLP Bilsteins were valves specific for the SLP Level II springs. That's actually what I'm running right now. I loved my Koni DA's when I had them on for a different setup.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

i run the white kyb gas a shocks and have no problems with them. i currently am running BMR 1.25 lowering springs also. My car also is just a fun little street car that i never abuse, take to the track or anything, or drive hard enough to even worry about suspension. so i dont feel the need to spend X amount on some high end shocks.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

All 4 of my shocks are horribly worn out. When I go over bumps the car wants to lift off, it reminds me of a 1970's Cadillac or something. I don't have the $$ to spend on Konis, and I know that they are good but damn theres got to be something in between stock and Koni that can be acceptable for a DD. It sucks because about a week before I picked up this car I sold my stranos/koni 4/4 DA's that were brand new in my garage. I just need something that will not feel like riding a roller coaster everywhere. The stock ones on my car literally do nothing to control movement, I might as well be riding on springs.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tokico blues, and I like the way they ride on stock springs. I put my car through so much daily driver abuse, I couldn't justify spending the $$ on konis that I would just beat the crap out of. Yesterday I hit a pothole so big, it was almost another level of roadway - two cars had broken down after hitting it as well. NJ sucks for potholes!

*Check Ebay for some good deals.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oooh good point. I forgot all about tokicos. I had them on my cobra and they were pretty nice. I'll check that out.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grimes
I have tokico blues, and I like the way they ride on stock springs. I put my car through so much daily driver abuse, I couldn't justify spending the $$ on konis that I would just beat the crap out of. Yesterday I hit a pothole so big, it was almost another level of roadway - two cars had broken down after hitting it as well. NJ sucks for potholes!

*Check Ebay for some good deals.

yeah, i also wanted to run those blue tokico shocks..but i got some kyb gas shocks the white ones for free..
Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
cars that are daily drivers would provide the best satisfaction with koni's. you get to enjoy them everyday. people who rule out konis because they "don't race or compete" are missing out on the best option available to them. And a good lifetime warranty ensures you buy once, not 2 or 3 times.
I was going to post then realized I couldn't have said it better myself.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, since the koni's are out of my price range I am going with the tokicos for the time being. I will end up buying the konis/stranos in the future probably but right now I need panhard bar, lower control arms, sway bars and subframe connectors plus new bushings in the front. For whatever reason my 98 formula rides much lower than most other f-bodies I see so I'm happy with the stance right now.

On a side note, I'm getting the UMI double roto-jointed PHB/LCA kit, anyone have this and like it? I hated my poly bushings so I think these are the way to go.