Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni DA w/ stock springs question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Koni DA w/ stock springs question

I picked up a set of Koni DA's to replace my low mileage WS6 decarbons and I'm concerned about how much stiffer the ride will be. I know the DA's are probably overkill with the stock springs but I got them at a deal I couldn't pass up.

I'm not 20 anymore, so I'm not looking for something that will ride like a race car. I like the ride of the stock shocks but they just don't feel very planted over rough roads. Will the suspension with the koni's still be comfortable on the softest setting?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to kind of understand what your shocks are doing. Full soft on everything doesn't mean the best ride quality.. it means the shocks have the least damping resistance setting and less control. You don't want to impact fully compressed suspension travel too quickly, but you also don't want to go too stiff and have your body absorb the bumps.

Koni DAs for stock springs might be overkill if you were thinking about buying them.. but since you already have them I'd def put them on. Figure out a good ideal starting setting for compression and rebound from a reputable source, and then make adjustments as you feel works best for you
Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, start with the compression and rebound dampening set to full soft, drive it that way for at least a couple of days to get a feel for it's ride and handling characteristics. Then adjust the rebound up 2 sweeps from full soft up front and rear up 1/4 turn from full soft, again drive it that way for at least a couple of days. Repeat (2 sweeps frt, 1/4turn r).
FYI, if the car starts to feel like it's dropping when going over dips in the road start backing off the rebound,1 sweep frt, and 1/8 turn rear.
For compression dampening I doubt you'll want to add very much at all, read below for more info.

highly recommend reading:

http://www.koniracing.com/autocrosstune.cfm
and this:
http://www.koniracing.com/rrtuningguide.cfm

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-07-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM
paq
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've instaled them in the past on my z28 up front only with stock coil. I run them 3-4 click on each side ( compression and rebound) from full soft. it makes the car more tight but not harsh like i was hopping. the only thing i will suggest is take a ride, back home, change the setting, take a ride ...etcetc.

good luck!

-paq-