Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

is their advantage to having chasis mount torque arm other than the mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is their advantage to having chasis mount torque arm other than the mount

i am switching to a 4l80e and have to buy a crossmember . i already have the stock style bmr adjustable torque arm.
i am up in the air about getting a chasis mount or just getting a cross member that has a mount on it
Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the tunnel mounted version is better for drag racing and the crossmember one is better for street/ road racing. I would go with the crossmember one because you already have a torque arm. The crossmember setup usually has different mounting holes so you could probably even run a stock torque arm and still adjust the pinion angle.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Im not sure I understand what you mean by tunnel mount.
My question. Is the difference between the short torque arm that mounts to the chassis or the long one that mounts on the tranny.
The only advantage I know of is to get the mount off the tailshaft. But I will buy a crossmember for the 4l80e that has the mount. So my torque arm will be mounted on my crossmember and not my tranny.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Im not sure I understand what you mean by tunnel mount.
My question. Is the difference between the short torque arm that mounts to the chassis or the long one that mounts on the tranny.
The only advantage I know of is to get the mount off the tailshaft. But I will buy a crossmember for the 4l80e that has the mount. So my torque arm will be mounted on my crossmember and not my tranny.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Seeing how you already have a adjustable full length arm. I would suggest going with a relocation cross member to allow you to get the arm (like you mentioned) off the transmission. But when you also go with a relocation cross member you are still able to adjust the instant center change for faster weight transfer. When you go with our relocation cross member you have 4 different setting to choose from to allow you to fine tune your suspension. And not only when you go with the relocation cross member they still maintain a great ride quality like the stock cross member. We offer them for both LS and Lt vehicles Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...v46v6otb00ua75

The Tunnel mounted version will just mount to your stock tunnel mounted location. They are faster at weight transfer but not everyone likes them on the street due to they are mounted right under the seats. And every now and then you can hear the weight transfer due to the shackles on the tunnel cross member. Below is a link to show you that as a example

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...v46v6otb00ua75
If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-23-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Brad but I think you missed the fact that I need one for a 4l80e in an f body I didn't see one on your website
Old 07-23-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Brad but I think you missed the fact that I need one for a 4l80e in an f body I didn't see one on your website
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we have a lightweight tube chromemoly conversion crossmember for the 4L80E and a chromemoly double adjustable torque arm and crossmember package that will do the trick for you. all bolt-in design, torque arm crossmember includes a driveshaft loop at no extra cost, tig welded construction, available in plain or powdercoated finish. best thing is low prices and knowledge of these cars and the experience to back it all up when you need help. pm or call us for more info.

Quick Reply: is their advantage to having chasis mount torque arm other than the mount