Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need a new hard line.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a new hard line.

During my brake overhaul, I installed a set of Techni-fit lines from Strano. All was good until I was working on the drivers side rear. The nut on the hard line rounded off. We tried everything, the damn thing might as well be welded on.

Can I buy a whole new hard line somewhere? Or do I have to make one?

(If you were wondering, yes Im running 3 braided lines and one stock, lol)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow ... all these LS1Tech-spurts and no answers a real Tech question. Guess the common number to call won't work for this kind of "expertise".

Most chain auto parts stores carry metric brake lines and they are very inexpensive. Just a few dollars. Oreilly's has a pretty big selection where I'm at.

Just measure and find one that is close to the right length. Route the line so that any extra length is used up.

Also, before you purchase, make sure the fitting at the "TEE" is the same size and pitch and the caliper end. The Off-The-Shelf lines have identical size/pitch fittings on both ends.

Another possibility is simply go to the chain stores and see if they have a double flaring tool you can rent. Cut the flare off of the brake line, buy a new metric brakeline tube nut, again at most any chain parts store, and reflare the line.

Flaring brake lines is not hard. Just make sure the tool is nice and square, properly seated and the clamp is tight as hell. If the line slips while flaring, you are screwed.

Here is a pretty good tutorial on flaring lines ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usTvYMjwVdc

You can probably reflare the line with it still on the car.

HTH and good luck in getting your rig back on the road.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you do grab a flaring kit and some flare nuts, make sure they'll work together - there are 45 degree and 37.5 degree flaring kits and nuts.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

Search this Thread