Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed Bilsteins.....Car now sits up higher on the DRIVER's side...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 03:59 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Installed Bilsteins.....Car now sits up higher on the DRIVER's side...

I can't figure this **** out...

I swapped out my stock shock/Intrax combo for a fresh set of Bilstein HD's/Eibach's.....Upon completing the installation I instantly noticed the car "leaning" on the driver's side...It's fender well has about 1/2-.75 more gap..Soooo....

Pulled ALL of the springs/shocks back off, and reinstalled them using exact measurements with a mic. As far as mic'ing how many threads were showing per shock after drilling down the top nut...EVERY shock is bolted down exactly the same to exact measurements....What do I get?? Still friggin sittin up higher on the driver's side....

My 2 guesses are either my cheap POS subframes are slightly bent from jacking up the corners during installation, or that driver's side front shock is not compressing the way it should...

FWIW, I installed the shocks w/ BMR springs first, and had the same exact problem so it is NOT the springs....Also, the car did NOT sit like this with the stock shocks/Intrax combo...

Ideas???

josh
Old 01-22-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
I can't figure this **** out...

I swapped out my stock shock/Intrax combo for a fresh set of Bilstein HD's/Eibach's.....Upon completing the installation I instantly noticed the car "leaning" on the driver's side...It's fender well has about 1/2-.75 more gap..Soooo....

Pulled ALL of the springs/shocks back off, and reinstalled them using exact measurements with a mic. As far as mic'ing how many threads were showing per shock after drilling down the top nut...EVERY shock is bolted down exactly the same to exact measurements....What do I get?? Still friggin sittin up higher on the driver's side....

My 2 guesses are either my cheap POS subframes are slightly bent from jacking up the corners during installation, or that driver's side front shock is not compressing the way it should...

FWIW, I installed the shocks w/ BMR springs first, and had the same exact problem so it is NOT the springs....Also, the car did NOT sit like this with the stock shocks/Intrax combo...

Ideas???

josh
can you go back to the stock shock/intrax combo? if that's not too much trouble, try it. if those look level, hell, the only possibility is the shocks? then again, if the intrax/decarbons do the same thing, i would expect your POS SFC's might be just that - POS, even though that seems unlikely to happen with anything...

what kind of SFC's?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:28 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by tuffluck
can you go back to the stock shock/intrax combo? if that's not too much trouble, try it. if those look level, hell, the only possibility is the shocks? then again, if the intrax/decarbons do the same thing, i would expect your POS SFC's might be just that - POS, even though that seems unlikely to happen with anything...

what kind of SFC's?
I'm at a point of no return unless I bought some stock shocks. I destroyed the rusted stud getting the stock shocks off...

I have a feeling it's the shock. The only way I can really eliminate the option is to swap the shocks on the opposite side...

The SFC's are some thin POS offbrand that some dude ripped me off on ls1.com about 3 yrs ago. Been meaning to get 'em cut off and KDD's in their place..

josh
Old 01-22-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sucks ***. are the bilstein's brand new? send em back! and tell them you paid money to get them installed and found out they were shot - so therefore, they need to reimburse you for your $$ losses when paying for the install...

lol - how thin are your SFC's? thinner than BMR (cause that's pretty thin). if so - why the hell did you put them on?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuffluck
and tell them you paid money to get them installed and found out they were shot - so therefore, they need to reimburse you for your $$ losses when paying for the install...
Shops NEVER reimburse you for labor that is done by another shop. I have never seen ONE company offer to reimburse labor that is performed at another shop b/c a part they sold that shop/person was defective. They tend to replace the parts but almost never offer and are not obligate to pay labor.

Plus, if he didn't pay someone install them, it's lying. Bad Karma.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:18 PM
LSX Mechanic

lol - how thin are your SFC's? thinner than BMR (cause that's pretty thin). if so - why the hell did you put them on?
Ahhh dude, I didn't know any f'ing better back then lol...They're some THIN pos's, you could probably poke a hole in one just tappin it with a hammer/screwdriver...
Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 PM
LSX Mechanic

I install my own **** fellas
Old 01-22-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't know anything back then Josh??? Do you think you know stuff now?

I have an idea - get your fat @ss out of the passenger seat and it won't lean anymore

Seriously though - that is messed up. I think one of my next mods might be some shocks so let me know how they ride/handle once you get this little problem taken care of.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:59 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by Classic
Didn't know anything back then Josh??? Do you think you know stuff now?

I have an idea - get your fat @ss out of the passenger seat and it won't lean anymore

Seriously though - that is messed up. I think one of my next mods might be some shocks so let me know how they ride/handle once you get this little problem taken care of.
Bitch I was runnin low 12's @ 115 mph w/ stock internals back then so I guess I knew something ......But no I didn't know much about SFC's back then...

The car still handles like a MF'er. Since the shock swap, the car has ZERO roll in the turns. It's so stable it's almost scary. I'm guessing with my 215 lbs *** in the car it levels out, but this POS should be sittin level without me in it
Old 01-23-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

often the shocks/springs need a few miles to settle/break themselves in. Mine leaned for the first few hundred miles but is even now....
Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eat more/gain weight. Problem fixed!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Relax. Read this is done purposely to compensate for weight of driver once you get in and sit down in a recent thread.
My 2002 Firehawk with factory Bilstein susp. upgrade leans too. Common problem; logical explanation.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dawg One
Relax. Read this is done purposely to compensate for weight of driver once you get in and sit down in a recent thread.
My 2002 Firehawk with factory Bilstein susp. upgrade leans too. Common problem; logical explanation.
I remember reading that as well. My factory shocks do the same thing if you look at it close enough. I say you would notice it more with aftermarket shocks.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:43 PM
LSX Mechanic

Nah, they would have settled by now. The shocks have been on for a week now and no change. Something is up. I am going to swap the front shocks on opposite sides and see if it still leans..

Thanks guy..

Josh
Old 01-31-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like I read another post about this. The answer was to spin the springs so that the end of the coil was in the same place in all four corners.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

My Revalved Bilsteins do the same. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading Strano saying on his website that it does the same on his car also.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:48 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by WS6 RULES
Seems like I read another post about this. The answer was to spin the springs so that the end of the coil was in the same place in all four corners.
Hey man, you make a GREAT point. However i'm sure to do this on every spring/shock swap I do. I learned the hard way long time ago, and have been doing it ever since. That was a good call though, thanks..

If these shocks are "suppose" to do this, thats friggin BS. I didn't pay 350 bucks and 2 hrs of my time to have a lopsided car
Old 02-01-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
If these shocks are "suppose" to do this, thats friggin BS. I didn't pay 350 bucks and 2 hrs of my time to have a lopsided car
they aren't *supposed* to do that at all. mine don't.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any chance the spring "cushions" are not snugged to
the end of the coil? Or that one of them is maybe not
centered on the locator "bump" up top?

Also, if the sway bar got bent somehow, this could
put a torque on the rear; the mounts look pretty flimsy,
these are probably easier to bend than the bar, but you
could check this by just disconnecting both ends, see
if the car flattens out and see if the bar ends both hit
the chassis mounts simultaneously if you rotate it up.

Shocks coult exert different pressures with their gas
charge but I doubt it's 1/2" worth between a good one
and a gasless one. You could always swap sides and
check that theory.

Quick Reply: Installed Bilsteins.....Car now sits up higher on the DRIVER's side...