Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steel Braided Brake Lines for C5 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Steel Braided Brake Lines for C5 Conversion

I'm ordering new brakes for the TransAm and need to know if I need special brake lines for running the larger C5 rotors on the front. I'm still going to run the stock F-body caliper with the C5 rotors.

Can I just order a set of steel braided direct OEM replacements for an f-body? or since the larger rotors move the caliper out, do I need special sized lines for the front?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the J&M SS f-body lines will be plenty long enough. (i have them on my car)

here they are compared to a stock line.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
I'm ordering new brakes for the TransAm and need to know if I need special brake lines for running the larger C5 rotors on the front. I'm still going to run the stock F-body caliper with the C5 rotors.

Can I just order a set of steel braided direct OEM replacements for an f-body? or since the larger rotors move the caliper out, do I need special sized lines for the front?
Ahh, all the questions that I once had before I did my C5 conversion just a few days ago. First of all, if you plan on running the larger rotor, you will need adapter brackets, such as the ones made by LG Motorsports (what I did). I know that the LGs will work with either F-body or C5 or base C6 calipers, but I'm not sure if the other brackets on the market which utilize a different design (such as those by UMI) will allow you to use F-body calipers. You may already know about all this.

Anyway, once you have the adapters and the proper mounting hardware, you can bolt up your calipers to the 12.8 inch rotors. So here is the deal on which brake lines you can use (from my experience). The fittings are the same size for the F-body and the Corvette lines, so no need to worry there. The length is what you have to worry about, and is why I went with C5 Corvette lines for the front (they are longer than F-body front lines, but have the same size fittings). From my research, many people said to go with the Corvette lines. With that said, however, it appeared to me during my install that you would be fine with using the F-body replacement lines for the front, especially since the Goodridge lines I used came 3/4" longer than stock. You might want to ask around and see if there are any people that use the stock braided lines with the larger rotors. Good Luck, and let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the help
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by No Juice
Thanks for the help
No problem.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

not all brake lines are created the same. i went through 3 different sets when i did my full C5 swap years ago. LS1, LT1, and C5. the C5s i got were at least 5" too long. the LT1s had a different fitting for the hardline, and wouldnt snap in correctly. i went with LS1 lines. at full drop and full lock, they are tight, but when are your wheels ever at full DROP and lock? under normal compression and rebound, stock LS1 replacements will work.

after 2 years of autox and track days, i havent had any problems with them.

Quick Reply: Steel Braided Brake Lines for C5 Conversion