Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I keep braking torque arms!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I keep braking torque arms!

Ok today I broke my second torque arm. This was a bmr and the first was a random technology. This time it was relocated. All mods are in my sig. It keeps ripping off at the axle and shearing the bolt holes out. All bolts are checked weekly and all fittings greased. I want to get in touch with bmr asap, but of course it happens on the weekend. Oh this happened during a second gear roll on, no axle hop either.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Same ole song and dance. All suspension companies mounts are drilled for a 14mm bolt. Moser uses a 1/2 bolt. There is a difference and it does what has happened to you. I've used three different styles of tq arms with a moser 12 bolt but with proper hardware that none of these people want to deal with. Never have had a problem with them breaking or bolts backing out.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Interesting, so whimpy bolts are the reason you're saying?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

No. Install a 1/2 bolt in the mount. You will see why it will fail. The bolt shank is smaller than the 14mm bolt it is replacing that the mount is driled for. And over tightening is just overstressing the mount that will make it fail. Most threadlockers won't work cause of the heat in this area. It will basically melt out. A bushing can be used to eliminate this. Its nothing fancy. And a large flat washer. For me the 12 bolt is strong enough for what I do. Been running it for years and no whine. I do wail on my car. I don't have time for fabricating stuff and did offer a sponsor or two this idea. They said no. Went on a long reason why they can't. Guess its cause not their idea they think it won't work.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

I replaced the bolts when I replaced the first tq arm with ones I got from moser. They had a special twin piece lock washer that had teeth. The bolts never got loose and I checked them regularly. It torqued them to 80ft lbs. I can't afford to keep doing this and haven't heard back from bmr yet.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do they say, a picture is worth a million words?! Tillery -- post a pic if you can. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

Some pictures in my profile. Very dry but you will see what I was speaking about. Like I said. Nothing fancy but its effective. Ive seen a lot of metal fatuige from harmonics such as that given from a gearset. Its normal frequencies. And that can find a stress riser to break mild steel.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Ok tillery now I see what you're talking about. Why then don't the manufacturers of these drill em for the 1/2" bolts that moser uses? Where did you get these bushings? Will someone from BMR please respond to me either through pm or my phone is 8one2-4five4-0one3one.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Why won't they drill for the moser? I was given a long explanation why they couldn't. I used to be an helo mechanic/engineer and was looking for a fix years ago. Had come across some aluminum bushings that fit the bill. Its easier to point the blame than accept the responsibility and fix a known problem. Btw I've used these on spohn and slp tq arms.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Tillery, do you have diagrams, part #'s, or measurements to the bushing design you came up with? I would like to know for future reference...
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

I will pull one out and write down the dimensions. I think I have some left over I can use to get more made. It don't cost much to do it. Will PM you as soon as I get that information.