Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Maybe a dumb question about line locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a dumb question about line locks

I was just wondering how a line lock really works. I know the basic concept is to keep the front wheels locked while the rear spin free by keeping line pressure on the front breaks after you let your food off of the brake pedal.

Can a line lock be setup to NOT hold pressure on the front brakes, but rather block pressure to the rear brakes? What I’m thinking is I can turn the lock on, start my burn out and then stomp on my brakes to prevent me from rolling into the start line (no one likes it at the drag strip when a street car roles into the start line doing it’s burn out). If I can configure the line lock to “block” pressure to the rear brakes, then I won’t be killing the rear brakes while I heat my tires.

Anyone try this?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

The line lock can only be setup to hold pressure as far as I know. It doesn't do anything with your rear brakes.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigj2717
The line lock can only be setup to hold pressure as far as I know. It doesn't do anything with your rear brakes.

Ya, I know that's the way it works by default, but a little re-engineering may allow me to change what it does. I know I’ll have to reconfigure how it’s inserted into the brake system. I just don’t know how the lock solenoids work. Will they effectively block pressure as easily as they hold pressure on a line.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have a very short distance between the water box and start line, there is no reason you should roll through the lights doing a burnout.. I do a good 5 second burnout, release the linelock, roll out of the box and let off the gas.. I'm still a long ways from the start line after the burnout.. Are you doing too long of a burnout maybe?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
Unless you have a very short distance between the water box and start line, there is no reason you should roll through the lights doing a burnout.. I do a good 5 second burnout, release the linelock, roll out of the box and let off the gas.. I'm still a long ways from the start line after the burnout.. Are you doing too long of a burnout maybe?
Not too long. I start my burn in the water box, bringing the RPM all the way up then slam into second keeping the RPMs at the top. Within a few seconds, I’m already nearing the start line. Even if I drop my burn and role over the start line with my foot on the clutch, they still chew me out. The end result is I have to do VERY short burn and half the time my tires aren’t warm enough yet. And yes, I’m using drag radials not street tires.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thats why the line lock lets you sit in one place and do a burn out as long as you need to.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Thats why the line lock lets you sit in one place and do a burn out as long as you need to.
Yes, I recognize this but I want the freedom to start my burn as I normally do and then stomp on my brakes about half way to the start line. This puts the least amount of strain on my clutch since I’m not forcing it to start a burn on a sticky surface and I’m not stuck sitting in the water box (this also they complain about). All I’m looking to accomplish is the ability to hit my brakes but only engage my fronts. I turn the lock off and my back to braking like normal.

Last edited by captainwizbang; 08-29-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Pretty sure you can put the line lock on the rear line instead of front. Engage the lock, then step on brakes = no rear brakes. Don't some of the automatic cars have it set up that way so they can modulate how much their car moves while doing burnouts?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 80 MONZTA
Pretty sure you can put the line lock on the rear line instead of front. Engage the lock, then step on brakes = no rear brakes. Don't some of the automatic cars have it set up that way so they can modulate how much their car moves while doing burnouts?
I don't know about the autos. I've just never heard of anyone trying it, but it makes perfect since to me. I think I may just buy a kit and give it a test. worst case is i have a line lock i have to use the traditional way. I figure I may be able to come up with some test with some spare parts to test it before I install it on my car.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by captainwizbang
I don't know about the autos. I've just never heard of anyone trying it, but it makes perfect since to me. I think I may just buy a kit and give it a test. worst case is i have a line lock i have to use the traditional way. I figure I may be able to come up with some test with some spare parts to test it before I install it on my car.
I installed a B&M Launch Control on my rear brakes it kinda worked, I wasn't able to give it full throttle cause there was a car coming my way. I haven't had the time to test it again. By the way if you do set it up to run on the rear brakes you will need 2 6in lines, some adapters for the brake lines, 3 actualy (2 for each side of the solenoid and 1 for the abs), if I remember correctly they are 1/8NPT to 3/16NPT otherwise the brake lines won't bolt right to the solenoid and you'll leak brake fluid all over( happened to me on the first day), also be very careful when removing the bolt that connects the brake line to the master cylinder they were pretty well stuck on my camaro and 3 others I found at the junkyard( due to all the brake pressure they go thru I suppose) Also make it easier on yourself and do what I did, I went to the junkyard and got the bolt that connects the brake line to the master cylinder, cut the bolt off the line, and placed it on a new shorter brake line and flared the end of the brake line so you can bolt it to the master cylinder.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand exactly what you are trying to do. You are trying to limit your roll out and not necessarily sit in one place without burning your rear brake pads up.

You can use a traditional line lock solonoid with the proper fittings to install it on the rear line. by the way the rear brake tube size on my 96 is 1/4".

Once you decide where you are wanting to place it u can cut and flare your lines as needed but instead of installing the Line Lock in a traditional manner you are going to put it in backwards against the normal flow that way when you activate it you can press the brakes as hard or soft you want and fluid will not be getting to the rear calipers. Then you will have roll control by foot. Makes for cool burnouts.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

OP my son did this on his Y2K truck 9 years ago with no problems as today,(other than eating up a lot of tires ) the point which he likes is going to a street cruise and fethering the brakes enabling him to do a 2-3 block burnout
you know kids will be kids, ................but a'nt it fun
Johnny
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
I understand exactly what you are trying to do. You are trying to limit your roll out and not necessarily sit in one place without burning your rear brake pads up.

You can use a traditional line lock solonoid with the proper fittings to install it on the rear line. by the way the rear brake tube size on my 96 is 1/4".

Once you decide where you are wanting to place it u can cut and flare your lines as needed but instead of installing the Line Lock in a traditional manner you are going to put it in backwards against the normal flow that way when you activate it you can press the brakes as hard or soft you want and fluid will not be getting to the rear calipers. Then you will have roll control by foot. Makes for cool burnouts.
Exactly what i'm talking about. Thanks. Not so much looking for "cool" since my application is more for function at the drag strip, but your piont is well taken.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Maybe a dumb question about line locks