Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I'm amazed at the difference a torque arm can make.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I'm amazed at the difference a torque arm can make.

I was still riding around on a factory torque arm because honestly, I didn't think it would make much difference for me because I don't track the car, and I'm driving on 19s, so how much better could it be, right?

Well, I picked up a damn near new UMI tunnel mounted torque arm with drive shaft loop (might as well be safe) and installed it a few days ago. I was only able to drive it around the block to just check for rattles, pops, issues until today.

Rolling into the throttle causes the rear to squat like it's never done before. It's like the front end just comes up and the rear squats and I'm gone. I'm so impressed. I do have a slight bit of vibration/thud when I lift and coast, so I picked up the angle meter today and will adjust the torque arm since I'm lowered on Strano springs.

My next mod is a set of triangulated tubular subframes to tie everything together. Then it's off to get them welded in, and a front end alignment done.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I was still riding around on a factory torque arm because honestly, I didn't think it would make much difference for me because I don't track the car, and I'm driving on 19s, so how much better could it be, right?

Well, I picked up a damn near new UMI tunnel mounted torque arm with drive shaft loop (might as well be safe) and installed it a few days ago. I was only able to drive it around the block to just check for rattles, pops, issues until today.

Rolling into the throttle causes the rear to squat like it's never done before. It's like the front end just comes up and the rear squats and I'm gone. I'm so impressed. I do have a slight bit of vibration/thud when I lift and coast, so I picked up the angle meter today and will adjust the torque arm since I'm lowered on Strano springs.

My next mod is a set of triangulated tubular subframes to tie everything together. Then it's off to get them welded in, and a front end alignment done.
damn that's sweet man.. motivation for me to get one! I love the feeling when the front end lifts up and you just fly. Just out of curiosity why are you getting 3 pt subframes?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the UMI torque arm tunnel mounted with a drive shaft safety loop also. It is a nice piece I agree and it makes a big difference.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine a few days ago. It's amazing. Its helped out a lot with traction as well. Now when punched, the front lifts and the rear squats like its dropping a load . Im still getting some weird noises going on under there. I dropped it to 3rd on the highway a few days ago and it sounded like something hit the floor board or the drive shaft exploded. Dont know if it has something to do with the pinion angle.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do people still think the rear end squatting is good for traction?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Why do people still think the rear end squatting is good for traction?
Because it's tangible. If you can't feel the rear "sink in", it can't be biting, right? Ignore the wasted power that shoving the ***-end of the car takes away from hitting the wheels.

Not bashing anyone, just voicing what seems to be the popular opinion when it comes to "traction".
Old 09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Okay, let me clarify. Instead of just breaking the tires loose and wheel hopping, now the car accelerates with a noticable difference. It APPPEARS as though the front end comes up or the rear squats, either way, better weight transfer is occuring and better traction is the net result.

HAPPY?

Fact is, if you are accelerating, weight is being transfered, so typically the front end is going to come up and the rear is going to go down some.

FYI, squating doesn't help traction, squatting is a result of having good traction and weight transfer resulting in higher levels of acceleration which results in a rotational force being applied from the wheels to the chasis which yeilds a 'squated' look.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 09-04-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

The car sounds to be doing the right thing...
Old 09-04-2010, 05:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Granted, we have a torque arm setup, but it's very similar to a ladder bar.

How Ladder Bars Work:
The Ladder Bar is a more sophisticated traction device because it serves as an extremely rigid, bridge-type truss that locates the rear axle housing directly to the chassis. With the axle housing held firmly in place, the torque applied to the differential is now transferred immediately through the Ladder Bars and into the chassis. By using the Ladder Bar to carry power to the chassis, the front end reacts by rising. As the front of the car travels upward, rapid weight transfer is created which "plants" the rear tires and propels the car forward.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, let me clarify. Instead of just breaking the tires loose and wheel hopping, now the car accelerates with a noticable difference. It APPPEARS as though the front end comes up or the rear squats, either way, better weight transfer is occuring and better traction is the net result.

HAPPY?

Fact is, if you are accelerating, weight is being transfered, so typically the front end is going to come up and the rear is going to go down some.

FYI, squating doesn't help traction, squatting is a result of having good traction and weight transfer resulting in higher levels of acceleration which results in a rotational force being applied from the wheels to the chasis which yeilds a 'squated' look.
Which, in a properly-set up car, is overcome by the proper selection of shocks, rear sway bar, and preloading the rear sway bar.

I know, I know, just saying...
Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I've got a set of Konis, Stranos, BMR 22mm rear sway and now the UMI torque arm. Did the rear squat, I can't say for sure, but the front did come up, so it could be a combo of both. Fact is, the rate of accleration increased compaired to spinning before.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

FWIW, A friend installed one just like yours a couple of months ago. Since then, he hardly drives the car because the increased NVH really bothers him. He says says he's going to remove it and put the stocker back on because he can't take it.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

NVH? Noise vibration harmonics?

Maybe it needs to have the pinion adjusted. I honestly couldn't feel any negative effects. There was a tad bit of a thud when I would make quick throttle changes, like on off on throttle changes, but after getting home, I found the bolts on the front of the torque arm needed to be tightened a little more and the slight thud went away.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe it needs to have the pinion adjusted. I honestly couldn't feel any negative effects. There was a tad bit of a thud when I would make quick throttle changes, like on off on throttle changes, but after getting home, I found the bolts on the front of the torque arm needed to be tightened a little more and the slight thud went away.
Did you happen to get this "thud" when dropping it into a lower gear and hitting the throttle?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Noise vibration harshness. Yep, he's been complaining about on/off throttle change clunking. I'm sure he checked his pinion angle. I drove it and didn't think it was that bad - and I'm sensitive to that kind of thing. But he hates it. I'll advise him to recheck all his bolts.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Greekey
Did you happen to get this "thud" when dropping it into a lower gear and hitting the throttle?
Just saw your other thread. His car is an auto so it probably isn't as violent, but there is enhanced clunking when the tranny shifts. He says all the drivetrain NVH is transmitted directly into the cabin.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Maybe I'm not as sensitive to it rolling on 19s, long tubes w/ory, lowered, and a heads/cam setup making 470+ hp. I've got poly motor mounts as well.

Did I notice a little bit of a thud, actually it's more of a tap under the seat, sure, but it was far better than when I installed a poly trans mount. That drove me crazy and only lasted on the car for 20-30 miles.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

mine is quiet as can be. Only time mine makes noise is when im coasting and get real close to lockup/non lockup speed. otherwise its as quiet as a stock unit. not nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be IMO.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
FWIW, A friend installed one just like yours a couple of months ago. Since then, he hardly drives the car because the increased NVH really bothers him. He says says he's going to remove it and put the stocker back on because he can't take it.
thats one of the downsides of a tunnel mt tq arm, your friend should of gotten the trans mt tq arm with a relocation bracket
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
mine is quiet as can be. Only time mine makes noise is when im coasting and get real close to lockup/non lockup speed. otherwise its as quiet as a stock unit. not nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be IMO.
Honestly, I agree with you. If I wasn't specifically listening and trying to 'induce' the noise response, I never would have known it was there. Over time I'll become completely oblivious to it.

Quick Reply: I'm amazed at the difference a torque arm can make.