Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Burn'd out the bushings in upper control arm applied torch and let it flame like 5x..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burn'd out the bushings in upper control arm applied torch and let it flame like 5x..

I applied the torch and flames directly to the rubber to actually burnout out/flame out and melt away bushings.......about maybe 5x......do u think i brittle'd or weakend the metal.

On the 2nd arm I applied heat on the shells and then used a socket and hammer to just slide right out. I had tried something similar with first but just not with a socket....and so I thought ppl meant to burn and just burn away.

U think 5 flaming reheats and rubber on fire same amount of times ruined the temper and made brittle?....I havent popped it all together yet...plz let me know thoughts.

I hear no from my friends but thought I'd get some more opinions.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be fine, you typically have to heat metal up a good bit to start screwing the temper up.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a few years after the fact, but did anyone have trouble over the years with their arms after burning the bushings out?

I found that the best way to "burn them out" was in fact to heat up the housing and kinda boil the rubber. Putting the torch directly on the rubber caused a lot of flames, smoke and smell. No fun. I took some good pictures and video of the process:
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...the-right-way/
Old 10-08-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see rust issues if you happen to burn the paint off and not respray, but that's about it. I did the same thing several times over the years and never had a problem.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why you need to "burn" the rubber out of a control arm bushing. Warm up the outer shell, and the adhesive generally breaks down, allowing you to knock the rubber out with a hammer and punch.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Element, as long as you didn't get the metal to the point of being "cherry" red i think you'll be fine.

You can actually burn paint or powdercoat off of suspension parts and re-use them without harm.

Craig

Quick Reply: Burn'd out the bushings in upper control arm applied torch and let it flame like 5x..