Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Changing shocks. Pointers??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing shocks. Pointers??

I've done shocks on my trucks before and it looks like the rear shocks on my 02 ss will be a similar deal. What should I be prepared for on the front? Spring compressors BEFORE they are removed or just after to get them on? What is the difficulty level on this install? Thx! Any other pointers I should know?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not terribly difficult. You will have to compress the springs before you get them off the shock assembly. Be aware that the nut holding on the top shock cover (or whatever it's called) on the shock assembly is usually corroded on, so it might take some work or some PB Blaster to get it off.

Also, as far as getting the assembly off, the drivers side is a PITA, as there are 2 T-50 bolts holding the assembly on under the brake reservoir. When you reinstall the shocks, swap the bolts with the bolts on the other side that just use a box end wrench (if I remember right) to help you out for next time.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

be prepared for lots of rust and have new parts handy to replace the rusted 1s
Old 09-16-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Spray a penetrating lube on all the rusted bolts,etc.Let it soak in for 10-15 mins.Then spray them again and let set again.Helped a buddy change his and his were rusted pretty bad,but had no problems after letting them soak.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

The upper shock nut rusts really bad. Pick up two replacements before starting. Pack the new nut and upper shock area with grease to prevent this in the future.

Check your ball joints an tie rods while you're there.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy some sway bar end links. They're dirt cheap and yours are probably dry rotted anyways. Easily found at any carparts place.

Mine were so rusted that instead of fighting with the nut to get it threaded off the 1" it had to go, i just cut it in half!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

most useful tool - the SEARCH button
Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
To be slightly more helpful, there was a thread on this within the past six months or so, that IIRC, went on for several pages and had many good tips. Search for it.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjb
That was smart assed but justified!!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

not really intended to be smart ***. there is a lot of good info on many topics that can be found easily, rather then expect the same answers to be posted everyday. specific questions are good, but just looking for general information to start with calls for the search button.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stuff like this should be stickied...
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Stuff like this should be stickied...
I agree with this more than telling everybody to search. If everybody only searched, then this wouldn't be a forum, it would just be an archive.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR
I agree with this more than telling everybody to search. If everybody only searched, then this wouldn't be a forum, it would just be an archive.
Not really....there are a lot of issues that come up that haven't been talked about by anybody (or at least not in much depth/frequency). Some questions, such as "I have an '01 Trans Am, what intake manifold do I have?!?" or "I have a stock car now, what can I do to make it fast?" get old after a while.

The OP had a good question, there are a lot of details to pay attention to, but regardless many things can be searched rather than posted, it saves time for everybody
Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Not really....there are a lot of issues that come up that haven't been talked about by anybody (or at least not in much depth/frequency). Some questions, such as "I have an '01 Trans Am, what intake manifold do I have?!?" or "I have a stock car now, what can I do to make it fast?" get old after a while.

The OP had a good question, there are a lot of details to pay attention to, but regardless many things can be searched rather than posted, it saves time for everybody
I would hope that with the oldest LS cars being 12 years old, we should have pretty much hit 90% of all issues that are to arise with our cars, but there are the rare few...I hate to even make my post, but i just have to laugh at how many people will wast the time of all to post a "Just search it out" post and waste even more time....If you don't have anything to add to the OP's question, hit the back button, and move along. Save your time and ours and make a constructive informative post that contributes to the forum, hell, track the for sale ads that are turning into ebay auctions. Nag those guys that have no posts and are just here to hock there junk.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Typically you can take them off by removing the 2 nuts and 2 bolts under the hood on the top of the shock tower, DO NOT take the middle nut off, without the spring compressor.
Then remove the assembly and put the compressor on them and remove the shock nut.
Make sure the orientation is correct before putting them back together.
On my 96 they were so rusted that i took the nut off and it still didnt come apart. i had to let it sit aimed somewhere save till the rubber on the upper shock mount broke.
Hawks Third gen has good prices on the upper shock mounts if you want to replace them. I think they are about $60 apiece.

Quick Reply: Changing shocks. Pointers??