Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Buying CTS-V- Need advice on rear shock!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying CTS-V- Need advice on rear shock!

Hey guys, long story short, I used to own a 2000 Z28 and since sold it along w my Civic to upgrade and have just one vehicle. I was all set up to buy a Mazdaspeed3 (flame away lol) for my DD but a CTS-V (FINALLY!) popped up for sale locally and I need it!

However, I looked the car through and through last night and the only thing that seems to be wrong with the car is that the passenger side rear shock is leaking and needs to be replaced.

My questions are: Can this shock be replaced by itself or do they need to be replaced in pairs? Will it need an alignment after?

Please, save me from buying a Mazda! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Mazda
I've driven a speed3 and race with them at the autox events....nice cars for a teenage girl imho. A man should never be seen driving one unless he is MUCH bigger than me...then he can drive whatever heck he wants and I'll tell him he's cool.

CTS-V

Save yourself....just buy new shocks!!! You could probably go to a parts store and buy just one shock....i feel like you should go ahead and replace both just for personal reassurance...and it gets your first mod outta the way.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bengals23G
Hey guys, long story short, I used to own a 2000 Z28 and since sold it along w my Civic to upgrade and have just one vehicle. I was all set up to buy a Mazdaspeed3 (flame away lol) for my DD but a CTS-V (FINALLY!) popped up for sale locally and I need it!

However, I looked the car through and through last night and the only thing that seems to be wrong with the car is that the passenger side rear shock is leaking and needs to be replaced.

My questions are: Can this shock be replaced by itself or do they need to be replaced in pairs? Will it need an alignment after?

Please, save me from buying a Mazda! Thanks in advance.
Always replace shocks in pairs. Its best do do all 4, but at a minimum you must do both sides per axle. On the CTS-V, you should not need an alignment after changing shocks.

Your best bet would be to find a set of Bilstien or other high performance shocks online. The ones you get from your typical auto parts store will be cheap, low performance replacements.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I appreciate the advice, guys. I did end up purchasing the V, so new rear shocks it is! Thank you for talking me out of the Mazda ha. After driving the V home I could not be any happier. It is ten times the car compared to the Speed3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying CTS-V- Need advice on rear shock!