Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

street strip shocks tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post street strip shocks tech

okay i am about to put all the mods i have listed in my suspension section of my sig on and i am pritty sure a good set of shocks will further enhance my cars abilty to run a good et. what i need is a shock that is not gonna crap out my car on the sloam while allowing for weight transfer so when i go my tc and headders i can lift the front wheels a bit... the cure ive thought of is n adjustable shock so far it seems the qa1's are my answer but i dont reallt know too much about shocks or springs SO I NEED ADVICE ON ACHIVEING MY ABOVE STATED GOALS..... ALSO SHOULD I USE MY STOCK SPRINGS im happy with how the car sits and i dont think i can drop it even if i wanted to due to the 17x 11 in the rear...... but like i said just let me know what ya think im completly open for suggestions including brands but im leaning twards a good adj shock with stock springs...

thanks
jonh
Old 01-29-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

O Common With The Bs Somebody Chime In
Old 01-29-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

koni da's will drop your car about .75" with stock springs on. the da means they are dual-adjustable, btw.

the hal's are good for dragging, but if you are going to have a street car also, i dunno if you actually want to do those.

the bilstein hd's are some of the most reputable of shocks out there, and they are valved *properly* (don't get me started) for stock springs.

what's your best bet? it beats me. koni's are up there in the price range - around $1200 for a set, and the hal's are pretty expensive as well. the bilstein's are about ~$300, and i don't think there is *anyone* that has had a bilstein "crap" out on them yet.

koni's are more for the auto cross racer, bilstein's are more for the everyday driver, and hal's are more for the drag racer. which area do you want to be the best?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

good stuff man... correct me if im wrong but i thought the qa1's were adjustable so they could be the best of both worlds if thats not true what am i adjusting also ya dont seem too happy about the whole stock spring setup, would you reccomend something better for me ? finally if i went with a blisten and wanted to drag on it hows it gonna compare to a qa1 or a koni or the stock shock as far as weight transfer on launch ( what im getting at is i thought blistens are a stiffer shock thus great for handling but crappyer than even the stock for weight transfer on launches......... as far as what im looking for im looking ot to compermise my handling but possible improve it while getting the proper shock to cut a better 60 foot .. for a good deal which im beginning to think is kinda like saying i want a 427 that gets 50 mpg and cost $500 to bulid
Old 01-30-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

OK FURTHER LOOKING ARROUND I SEE THAT THE 2 BLISTEM SETUPS AND THE KYB AGX SHOCKS ARE A GOOD DEAL CHEEPER THAN THE KONIS AND THE HALS ASSUMING THAT THE BLISTEINS AND THE KYB WILL GIVE ME AN IMPROVEMENT IN MY LAUNCHES (CORRECT ME IF I WORNG) WHICH ONE O THE 3 ARE BETTER FOR MY SITUATION… I SEE THE AGX SHOCKS ARE ADJUSTABLE AND IM ASSUMING THE 2 TYPES OF BILSTENS ARE NOT… ANYHTING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE 3 TYPES OF SHOCKS WHAT IVE BEEN TOLD IS THE SLP BILSTENS ARE MORE COMFORT ORIENTATED THAN THE ORIGINALS IS THERE ANY MORE DIFFERENCES IF NOT THEN HOW DO THE REGULAD BILSTENS AND THE KYB AGX SHOCKS COMPARE… OR SHOULD I BUY EITHER IS THE QA1 A BETTER SHOCK IF SO ENOUGH TO WARRANT THE PRICE HIKE … AGAIN THE CAR IS A STREET CAR THAT IS DRIVE ABOUT 2-3 TIMES A WEEK AND IM LOOKING FOR GOOD HANDLING AND BETTER LAUNCHES……..

THANKS

JONH
Old 01-30-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

o common i need answers im about to buy this stuff and im really not sure what to do!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

the AGX shocks are adjustable, but also roughly about the same price as the bilstein non-adjustable. that tells you something right there.

the slp bilstein's are valved differently than a bilstein hd you would buy from bilstein themselves. you will pay about $100 more for the slp bilstein's - and that extra price is really only because slp and rksport are in competition for the "who can charge the most" award. as far as the regular hd's go - so many people use them, and so many people are happy with them.

it's up to you.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

FROM WHAT IVE HEARD THE SLP BILSTENS ARE MORE OF A COMFORT SHOCK THAN THE HD'S ARE ALSO I GUESS YOUR INFERRING THE AGX ARE CHEEP SHOCKS BEACOUSE THEIR ADJUSTABLE BUT SOLD AT THE PRICE OF A NONADJUSTABLE SHOCK... THAT SEEMS LOGICAL BUT FIGURED ID ASK... ... MOVING ON, CANANY BODY HELP ME OUT WITH THE QUESTION ABOUT BILSTENS BEING A BETTER OR WORSE SHOCK FOR WT TRANSFER ON LAUNCHES, THE WAY I LOOK AT IT (WHICH COULD BE WRONG) IS THE BILSTENS ARE A STIFFER SHOCK THUS MAKING WT TRANSFER MORE DIFFICULT THAN IT WORLD BE WITH THE STOCK SHOCKS... LIKE I SAID THIS COULD VERRY WELL BE FAULTY LOGIC AND ID LOVE TO HEAR DIFFERENT AND AN EXPLINATION WHY (THIS SAY ID LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT IM DOING)

Old 01-31-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much power are you putting out? i think bilstein's will be fine in most cases.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

The Bilstens Are Like $360 On Lm Peformance I Think , I Am Just Wanting To Do It Right Regardless Of Cost...... Is There A Better Place To Buy The Bilstens From ?
Old 01-31-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

im curently doin 330 rwhp but have plans on a ss3800, headders and passible a cam