Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilstein Shocks vs. Bilstein HD Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Bilstein Shocks vs. Bilstein HD Shocks?

So what's the difference? I'm planning on buying some Hotchkis lower springs soon and am now trying to figure out what shocks to get. I know Koni's are the best, but I really don't want to spend that much. I've heard Bilsteins are the next best. Are there any other shock's out there you guys recommend in the $450/set price range? Also, if I get Bilsteins do I want SLP Bilstein Shocks or Bilstein HD Shocks?

Also, on a side note, what else would I need to properly lower my car. Based on my understanding from reading other threads I need the following:

1) Springs
2) Shocks
3) Adjustable Panhard Bar

Anything else?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So get the SLP Bilsteins -- a little more lift in the rear, supposedly ~5% more. Both have lifetime warranty via Bilstein.

But lowering on anything other than the SLP Bilstein/Eibach package will mean a shorter life for your Bilsteins... In other words, if you want different lowering springs, best to save up for Konis...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-06-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LCA relocation brackets probably won't hurt either. It'll get your LCA's back level which will help with traction.
The following users liked this post:
Mr2020 (02-24-2021)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So get the SLP Bilsteins -- a little more lift in the rear, supposedly ~5% more. Both have lifetime warranty via Bilstein.

But lowering on anything other than the SLP Bilstein/Eibach package will mean a shorter life for your Bilsteins... In other words, if you want different lowering springs, best to save up for Konis...
I like the Eibach Pro Kit, but I heard that the rear starts to sag after some miles... have you heard of this? Also, I thought the prokit was lower than the hotchkis, so wouldn't that shorten the life more than the hotchkis? or is it something else?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

call Sam Strano, heed his advice. You'll be happy.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by subobo0411
I like the Eibach Pro Kit, but I heard that the rear starts to sag after some miles... have you heard of this? Also, I thought the prokit was lower than the hotchkis, so wouldn't that shorten the life more than the hotchkis? or is it something else?
Not the Pro-kit, the SLP spec Eibach springs. They have lower rates and less drop than the Pro-kit
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by subobo0411
So what's the difference? I'm planning on buying some Hotchkis lower springs soon and am now trying to figure out what shocks to get. I know Koni's are the best, but I really don't want to spend that much. I've heard Bilsteins are the next best. Are there any other shock's out there you guys recommend in the $450/set price range? Also, if I get Bilsteins do I want SLP Bilstein Shocks or Bilstein HD Shocks?

Also, on a side note, what else would I need to properly lower my car. Based on my understanding from reading other threads I need the following:

1) Springs
2) Shocks
3) Adjustable Panhard Bar

Anything else?

Thanks in advance guys!
I have this same setup with the SLP that came on the car....it been lowered for 90k and still handles great.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I've got SLP's in stock for $409.99 set. Ready to ship.

Also, if you want to call me I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I also sell Hotchkis springs as well as my own (and some others too).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I've got SLP's in stock for $409.99 set. Ready to ship.

Also, if you want to call me I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I also sell Hotchkis springs as well as my own (and some others too).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Teching In

I just bought a set of the Bilstein 24-024068s for my 99 TA and Bilstein tech said they'd fit on with factory lower spring supports, but now I have it all appart and I have no way of holding the spring onto the bottom of the shock because the stock ones are welded to the shocks and they are far too narrow for the Bilsteins.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

see post #5.
hopefully you purchased from him.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by System_Error_117
I just bought a set of the Bilstein 24-024068s for my 99 TA and Bilstein tech said they'd fit on with factory lower spring supports, but now I have it all appart and I have no way of holding the spring onto the bottom of the shock because the stock ones are welded to the shocks and they are far too narrow for the Bilsteins.
the lower perch should not be welded. It might not move simply because of built up dirt. smack it with a rubber mallet or something and it should free up. I went from the decarbons to bilsteins and had no problem swapping everything over. Unless they are not stock shocks?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SLP fronts have less bump and more rebound damping.
They feel fine with Hotchkiss front springs.

SLP rears are identical to the regular HD rears. I found
them too harsh, and swapped to Gabriels as the Hotchkiss
rears made the car rake look like it was dragging *** (see
sig pic). Went to hose-mod & stock springs, and am happy
with that both for handling and comfort as well as a more
proper looking ride angle (attached pic)
Attached Thumbnails SLP Bilstein Shocks vs. Bilstein HD Shocks?-redneckheaven.jpg  
Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
SLP fronts have less bump and more rebound damping.
They feel fine with Hotchkiss front springs.

SLP rears are identical to the regular HD rears. I found
them too harsh, and swapped to Gabriels as the Hotchkiss
rears made the car rake look like it was dragging *** (see
sig pic). Went to hose-mod & stock springs, and am happy
with that both for handling and comfort as well as a more
proper looking ride angle (attached pic)
What springs are in the front?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Teching In

alright so I went and bought all the Moog parts listed in the "SLP Bilstein/Eibach Combo Install - Parts Needed?" thread and put it all together with the LT1 front springs I had already on the stock shocks.

I dropped the car down off the jack stands and was horrified to see it literally sits a good 1 to 1.5 inches higher then before. I always thought it was a bit high anyways so now this is just too much.

I think I should buy the Eibach Pro Kit to compensate for this increase in hight and maybe get a little bit lower.

I don't understand why its so high, I virtually have identical parts to what that thread said to use, just with stock LT1 springs, which I thought where actually lower then the LS1s.....
Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Ok I just went out in the garage and looking at it I think the spring sits higher on the shock tower with the MOOG spring seat then the Delco one on the stock shock. So I don't know if the pro kit will be a low enough spring to drop my ride height the 2 inches I need to get it back down to a reasonable level.

I know the Sportline is too low for someone with stock shocks, especially ones that have been running around for a couple thousand miles. But because my lower spring mount is higher, which I think is causing the big jump in ride height, will the sportline be perfect because its higher on the shock, so it'll have more travel then on a stock shock?

Just worried that if I buy the pro kit and not the sportlines because I'm affraid of the bad rap they get, and I install them they might still be a little too high, even from a stock perspective.....
Old 09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to drive the car once to get it to settle down. When cars first come off stands they typically have the suspension bound up and that causes the car to sit a little higher.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

there is more to springs than just ride height.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Teching In

ok I'm going to drive the car to work today and let it settle down then re-measure the ride height, fingers crossed...
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Unfortunatly its stayed the same over the course of the day so I'm still sitting nearly 2 inchs higher then I was with the stock shocks.

I ordered the Eibach Sportlines because they have the lowest possible drop. It wont hit everything because it'll sit nice with the larger shocks, but i have a feeling I'll be bottoming out everywhere.

Thats what I get for not buying Delco's I guess....
The following users liked this post:
1996z (08-22-2021)

Quick Reply: SLP Bilstein Shocks vs. Bilstein HD Shocks?