Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit

Anyone have trouble installing Spohn upper a-arms? I had my whole front end apart with the stock a-arm mount and the new Spohn a-arm on the bench and they were not even close to fitting together. I bent my stock a-arm mount to try and get the Spohn a-arm to slide in and it was clear that there was no way I could get them together without severely deforming the bushings and putting way too much pressure on them. The arms in the picture are the drivers side. Before someone says my car must have been in some horrific accident because my a-arm mounts are all bent, I bent them with vice grips to try and get the Spohn arms to fit.

Originally Posted by Fellow LS1Tech Member
But Bill, why are you airing this out on the forums? Why not just call Spohn?
Thank you for the question. I did call Spohn and they are telling me I should have loosened the pre-installed ball joint before I put the parts together.

Originally Posted by Spohn Tech Support
Bill, seriously, just loosen the ball joints and they will drop right in. This is known, that's why we have it in our online FAQ.
Call me a skeptic, but I don't see how loosening this ball joint is going to relax the a-arm like a half inch so it fits correctly. If I pull this front end apart again and they don't fit I am going to lose my mind.

Originally Posted by Fellow LS1Tech Member
Wow why are you ranting about this? You e-mailed tech support and they told you it was in the FAQ. Stop being a baby and just try what they said.
Before I pull my whole front end apart again I guess I just want to hear a victory story from someone. Tell me your Spohn a-arms didn't come close to fitting and you loosened the ball joints and they "dropped right in" and I will pull the car apart again this weekend. And before someone asks "WHY ARE YOU DOING UPPERS LOL!?!?!?!" Because I want my front end to have all new parts and I like shiny red things. Leave me alone.

Here are some pictures :
Attached Thumbnails Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-001.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-002.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-003.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-004.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-005.jpg  

Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-006.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-007.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-008.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-009.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-010.jpg  

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I would like to add that Spohn tech support has answered my calls, called me back and have been very prompt with their responses. The person I spoke with was very nice. Here are 4 more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-011.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-012.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-013.jpg   Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit-picture-014.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like a square peg in a round hole to me.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put a set in this past weekend, mine have the delrin bushings though.

I had to bend one corner to get them to fit but once you tighten them to the correct spec it bent right back to where it should be. No where near as bad as your pictures.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
I just put a set in this past weekend, mine have the delrin bushings though.

I had to bend one corner to get them to fit but once you tighten them to the correct spec it bent right back to where it should be. No where near as bad as your pictures.
Did your a-arms come pre-fitted with new ball joints from Spohn? Did you have to loosen the ball joint bolts to get it to fit? Am I the only one that seems to think this is a crazy idea that won't work? They are insistent that all I have to do is loosen that ball joint and it will *poof* pop into place, but it sounds like total bs to me. The thing is bent way out of shape and I just can't see that little ball join distorting the a-arm that much. I'm also worried that when I take the time to actually pull it apart and try it, it's still not going to work and they are just going to shrug and say I must be doing something wrong or my car was in an accident or something.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

ever been in a wreck? try another upper mount?........BTW.....i have spohn uppers......but with rod ends.......no problems with mine
Old 10-12-2010, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
ever been in a wreck? try another upper mount?........BTW.....i have spohn uppers......but with rod ends.......no problems with mine
As far as I know of, no. Car was bought new by my ex-girlfriend and I bought it about 2 years ago. I ran into the same problem with both left and right mounts so I don't think that's the problem. I guess if I do decide to try and install these again I will grab a set of mounts from a junk yard. *sigh*
Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Giggity
Did your a-arms come pre-fitted with new ball joints from Spohn? Did you have to loosen the ball joint bolts to get it to fit? Am I the only one that seems to think this is a crazy idea that won't work? They are insistent that all I have to do is loosen that ball joint and it will *poof* pop into place, but it sounds like total bs to me. The thing is bent way out of shape and I just can't see that little ball join distorting the a-arm that much. I'm also worried that when I take the time to actually pull it apart and try it, it's still not going to work and they are just going to shrug and say I must be doing something wrong or my car was in an accident or something.
Yes mine came prefitted with the moog upper ball joints. I did not have to loosen them to get them to fit.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a bigger hammer? Looks like the bushings are just a little too fat.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to send spohn those pics. Those do not look like they fit. I would not bend or mangle my car for them to fit.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 AM
On The Tree

Here is my e-mail thread with Spohn after sending the pics :
Originally Posted by E-Mail Thread
The tech article does not have any relevance to my problem. I have the stock a-arm mounting plate out of the car on a bench, and the Spohn tubular a-arm on the bench and they don't fit together. I cannot fathom how loosening the bolts on the ball joint could effect the size of the a-arm. I attached a picture of your a-arm. I will try and shrink the pics and resend.

Thanks
It does. Loosen all the ball joint bolts. When you tighten the ball joint bolts it pulls the bushing ends in.
Look at the pictures. I am extremely skeptical that loosening the ball joint could correct this.
Bill, seriously, just loosen the ball joints and they will drop right in. This is known, that's why we have it in our online FAQ.
If I pull my whole front end apart *again* and these do not "drop right in", I am am going to be extremely annoyed. Did you look at the pictures?
Yes sir. That's all you need to do.
Hypothetically, If I loosen the ball joint and the part does not fit properly, what is the next step?

Also, thank you for your help. I don't have the instructions in front of me but is this tip about loosening the ball joint included with the a-arms?
Instructions are attached. They'll fit, this is always the issue.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hope I don't have to deal with Spohn regarding any issue Jeez.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 10-14-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at your picture 004 and 005 I can see where if the ball joint were to put enough stress to curve that tiny piece of metal its on, it would bow the whole assembly. if it were to flatten out. it does seem like it would indeed go in. take a look for yourself, imagine if it wasnt trying to go in crooked but straight up and down. also in picture 008 they seem to be identical in width for the outter portions

just an observation while im bored here at work
Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried loosening it already?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh ****, just loosen the little ******
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I hope I don't have to deal with Spohn regarding any issue Jeez.
After waiting and hearing lies for 8 months for a 3rd gen K member I never bought anything more from him. Hopefully things are better with him now.

I agree, loosen that little ****** and get it back together!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

and you are not putting the arms in backwards.......ask me how i know about that
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redracer1
Looks like a square peg in a round hole to me.
Not to bash anyone, but I agree....
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

I have not loosened the balljoint yet. I did the install last Saturday and Spohn was closed on Saturday. They are only open 9-5 Monday thru Friday, you know, when people work on their cars...[/sarcasm]

I re-assembled the car with the stock upper a-arms. I am very hesitant to pull the front end apart again just to try to see if this fixes it. I understand what they are saying about loosening the balljoint but that arm is thick steel and I just don't see it bending enough to make a difference.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You shouldn't have to bend anything for them to fit, I could understand having to lightly tap them into place, but that's it.

IMO, take them back and get a refund; full refund, since they clearly weren't made correctly.

Quick Reply: Spohn Upper A-Arms Don't Fit