Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Shocks.. What to buy..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are Monroes really that bad??

ok.... so I just bought Monroes for all 4 corners because Im lowering my car (Sportline Ebiach) and everyone recomends to replace the stock struts and shocks when doing this. Did I just waste my money or will they work? Im not going autocrossing anytime soon (never). I just couldnt justify to myself spending over $300 more for the same parts. Keep or return
Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leoZ28
ok.... so I just bought Monroes for all 4 corners because Im lowering my car (Sportline Ebiach) and everyone recomends to replace the stock struts and shocks when doing this. Did I just waste my money or will they work? Im not going autocrossing anytime soon (never). I just couldnt justify to myself spending over $300 more for the same parts. Keep or return
Return them. There's a reason good shocks cost more.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry I have to lol though... Do a search.
Sportlines are arguably the worst springs you can buy for the fbody(literally sits you on the bumps stops), and you are mating them with some of the worst shocks as well...
Generally speaking when it comes to suspension (for our cars atleast, I can't speak for all cars) you really get what you pay for. The cheapest stuff is dreadful, like buying really used old toilet paper.
Its "recommended" to replace your shocks (our cars don't have struts, just shocks on all 4 corners) when you get a lower, stiffer spring because the stock shocks (and the cheap "OEM" replacements, like above) struggle to dampen the stock springs none the less a stiffer spring with less travel. This leads to jarring, jittery ride quality while also being floaty, bouncy and loose. You upgrade to a sport/performance shock because they can control the higher rate spring because they have better/more aggressive valving.
Many people "shrug off" the shitty truck-like ride quality these cars have from the factory and think "its supposed to be like that", when that couldn't be further from the truth. The reason its like that is because of the shocks not being able to dampen the car correctly. You can have significantly better ride and handling with proper dampening.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This!:

Originally Posted by element
return them. There's a reason good shocks cost more.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Sorry I have to lol though... Do a search.
Sportlines are arguably the worst springs you can buy for the fbody(literally sits you on the bumps stops), and you are mating them with some of the worst shocks as well...
Generally speaking when it comes to suspension (for our cars atleast, I can't speak for all cars) you really get what you pay for. The cheapest stuff is dreadful, like buying really used old toilet paper.
Its "recommended" to replace your shocks (our cars don't have struts, just shocks on all 4 corners) when you get a lower, stiffer spring because the stock shocks (and the cheap "OEM" replacements, like above) struggle to dampen the stock springs none the less a stiffer spring with less travel. This leads to jarring, jittery ride quality while also being floaty, bouncy and loose. You upgrade to a sport/performance shock because they can control the higher rate spring because they have better/more aggressive valving.
Many people "shrug off" the shitty truck-like ride quality these cars have from the factory and think "its supposed to be like that", when that couldn't be further from the truth. The reason its like that is because of the shocks not being able to dampen the car correctly. You can have significantly better ride and handling with proper dampening.
lol, I dont blame you for laughing.. I'd rather be told its crap then going through the trouble and money to install it and regreting it. I dont want to buy and install cheap parts but I really cant afford the best (cant blow my money on this SS like I did with my last one on my sig. ). Can you or anyone recomend a better quality brand without breaking the bank? Thanks1
Old 10-22-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SLP Bilsteins. Might want to return the Eibachs while you're at it too...

But since it's an SS, ya might want to wait a bit and save for something better like Konis and say Strano springs if you really want to lower...

lol, I dont blame you for laughing.. I'd rather be told its crap then going through the trouble and money to install it and regreting it. I dont want to buy and install cheap parts but I really cant afford the best (cant blow my money on this SS like I did with my last one on my sig. ). Can you or anyone recomend a better quality brand without breaking the bank? Thanks1

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-22-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on how much you have to spend and what you want out of the car. You may want to call Sam Strano and talk it over with him, he can tell you first hand the difference between different setups and what could suit you best (you won't find this from another sponsor, they will just push their own parts and generally recommend things you don't need like LCA relocation brackets.)
Me personally I would go with some Koni 4/3s with your stock springs, or if you want a little drop use the lower front perch on the konis and the heater hose mod in the rear.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd rather be told its crap then going through the trouble and money to install it and regreting it.
Sweet. It's funny, lots of people would rather get a pat on the back and install junk so that their feelings aren't hurt when they find out it's actually junk.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for your advise, JD AMG and libertyforall especially. I spent all day yesterday researching the forums and internet and decided that Im going with the best even if it takes a little more time to save up to get it. So the shocks has been returned and the Sportlines will be in the Clasifieds before days end today. As far as the shocks, Alot of positives with the Koni's and for Springs Im thinking Strano or Hotchkis. Im looking for a drop so Im hoping for the best of both worlds, to be lower with an awsome ride quality. Anymore suggestions is highly welcomed. I added pics, the car sits on 18's.
Attached Thumbnails Stock Shocks.. What to buy..-dsc01504.jpg   Stock Shocks.. What to buy..-dsc01505.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 864 Likes on 660 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

for stock springs- Bilstein front and Koni 3rd gen rears.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your advise, JD AMG and libertyforall especially. I spent all day yesterday researching the forums and internet and decided that Im going with the best even if it takes a little more time to save up to get it. So the shocks has been returned and the Sportlines will be in the Clasifieds before days end today. As far as the shocks, Alot of positives with the Koni's and for Springs Im thinking Strano or Hotchkis. Im looking for a drop so Im hoping for the best of both worlds, to be lower with an awsome ride quality. Anymore suggestions is highly welcomed. I added pics, the car sits on 18's.
If money allows, I doubt you'll be disappointed with Strano/Koni. I have the Koni 4/4's on stock springs and it's amazing how much better the car handles and how much more control there is than stock. There are also a ton of reviews on here with the ride/handling with Strano springs.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wannafbody
for stock springs- Bilstein front and Koni 3rd gen rears.
Just bought Stranos.. First time I see different brands for front and rear, will still work with the Stranos you think?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
If money allows, I doubt you'll be disappointed with Strano/Koni. I have the Koni 4/4's on stock springs and it's amazing how much better the car handles and how much more control there is than stock. There are also a ton of reviews on here with the ride/handling with Strano springs.
Got the Stranos! But man those shocks are expensive! I dont think Ill be needing the flexibilty to adjust shocks though.

How about the KYB GR-2's....??
Old 10-26-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the Stranos! But man those shocks are expensive! I dont think Ill be needing the flexibilty to adjust shocks though.

How about the KYB GR-2's....??
Not nearly as good. The nice thing about the Koni adjustability is that you can really set the shocks up the way you want - you're not stuck with shocks that are a little too firm up front and a little too soft in the back.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Bare minimum shocks... KYB AGX, preferred minimum shocks SLP Bilstein. Koni's are the best choice. GR-2's are just stock type replacements, valved for stock springs. They are better than worn stock shocks, period--but not meant for this use and not build exceedingly well either.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Bare minimum shocks... KYB AGX, preferred minimum shocks SLP Bilstein. Koni's are the best choice. GR-2's are just stock type replacements, valved for stock springs. They are better than worn stock shocks, period--but not meant for this use and not build exceedingly well either.
Thanks, youll be seeing an order from me soon, most likely for the SLP Bilstein's, next week.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

If you have any questions please feel free to call me. I have some SLP's in stock right now, but we are starting to run low (just an FYI) on this batch.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

400 sounds like a good deal. I just spent $600+ in my rear shocks.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Launching!

what the diff. between bilstein hd and bilstein slp? also, which one is better with lowering springs?

(not trying to hijack the thread btw)
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What the hell is it with all the vaginas that come on this forum lately? You give them good advice and they whine and cry about it if you don't give them the answer they want to hear.

Ok then.. go buy some Monroe's from pep boys. That should do the trick *pat on the back*
LMAO, I spit coffee over the keyboard when reading this.

Quick Reply: Stock Shocks.. What to buy..