Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to Shorten and reflare rear brake lines for narrowed rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Shorten and reflare rear brake lines for narrowed rear end

Hello,
I recently installed a new rear end narrowed 3" per side and bent the **** out of the rear metal brake lines to put the car back together. I was wondering where to get the material, what size brake line, and what fittings/tools I will need to get the job done CORRECTLY.

thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Either a local auto parts store or an industrial fitting place. There is a supply company called Royal Brass that sells the stuff directly or they can make custom stuff for dirt cheap. Google it. I'm sure that there are similar supply companies that sell that kind of stuff locally. You might also try a local Grainger supply house.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info. I know I will need dimensions for the brake lines when I go to purchase some and also need to know what flare the camaro requires for a 2001 SS with ASR and ABS. If anyone knows those specs I'd appreciate it!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most flares (at least the ones I've worked with) are typically 45 degree with US stuff, 37.5 degree for Japanese stuff.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

45 double flare correct?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

Unless u get stock replacements which u are gonna have to bend somewhere to make them shorter because u narrowest the rear Ur gonna have to just go to the auto parts store and get some lines which they will have with the right fittings for Ur car and bend to fit. You can buy the line longer than you will need and bend and cut so they are exact fit but you will need the right flaring tools. Your lines are already jacked or you would not be replacing them so cut them so you can take the fitting in an match it up.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

If I remember correctly the rear fittings are just double flare which you can rent the tool to make the lines exact fit.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock line will work with a 3/16 standard double flare(easyest to make) you just have to lare it a little bigger on the first fare. just shorten the line where it is bent and put a union in there. you could also cut the bad partout and use a compression union. They make a tool to bubble flare but its not cheap. also you cna just get the stock line adapter fittings and put a 12(or less)" section of braded earls premade on there and run new 3/16 line to the front. put a union near the frame where it goes back up to the abs block

Quick Reply: How to Shorten and reflare rear brake lines for narrowed rear end