Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about SLP Bilstein part #

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about SLP Bilstein part #

I just received my SLP Bilstein shocks from a sponsor here (this is not bashing them, they've been great). I finally opened the box and didn't notice any sort of SLP markings or anything. No big deal, but I figured they'd have a sticker or something. So I got curious and Googled the part numbers on the shocks I received:

BE5-2406-M2 (front)
BE5-2407-H0 (rear)

Well they're listed on this site (non-sponsor) as normal Bilstein HDs: http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/ht...ear=%272002%27

I know the first number, 2406/2407, is the casing number, and the last number, M2/H0, is the valving or revision. So are SLP Bilsteins sold as HDs on other sites, or are SLP Bilsteins the exact same as HDs?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

My fr SLP Bilstein: B46-2071-MO
My rr SLP Bilstein: B46-1914-MO
These were purchased from SLP a long time ago (now sold) with the Eibach (SLP) springs. Maybe someone can tell you what your codes mean? At one point, I think SLP used the rear Bilstein HDs and tweaked just the fronts. Also, Bilstein changed their HD (fr & rr) valving during production and there is debate as to whether it was improved valving or not. There is a sponsor that knows for sure, it looks as though you did not purchase from him/them, judging by your post... Ask your sales guy, he should know!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

There are a lot of variable when "SLP Bilstein's" are concerned. The reason I sell them over the HD's is that they cost a little less. And anyone who gets them from me will see they come in an SLP box, which is always sealed unless I have to add some other part to it (then of course I have to open it).

That 1914 rear shock hasn't been available in years, and 2406/2407 are the correct numbers...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed NO SLP markings on the shocks themselves nor on Bilstein's boxes nor Bilstein's paperwork, but the shipping box was SLP-sealed.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There never, ever have been SLP markings on the shocks. And they've always come in Bilstein boxes (or no boxes at all sometimes). The only way to tell an old SLP shock was that the part numbers were different. But that hasn't been the case in years. For a while the suffix was different on HD's vs. SLP's but now that's not the case either. They've simply made the SLP shock the HD too.....which is why when you called them Bilstein said they'd warranty the SLP's as normal. SLP's are less expensive and that's why I stock those.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

So there's absolutely no difference between HD and SLP except the container they come in? Copy.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ No, Sam previously explained a ~5% improved rear on the SLP versions...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Geez, it's always in flux... The suffixes can mean different things. Sometimes a valving change, sometimes it determines where they are made. And over the years there have been so many versions of both HD's and SLP's is almost comical. Even with a slight valving difference (which seems to have gone away looking at the suffixes on the latest run of shocks) it was so slight you'd not notice anyway. Moot since is seems the just combined the "two" into one number anyhow.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also posted this because I had always heard that the only difference between the HD and SLP Bilsteins was the fronts, and that the rears were the same. But looking at the part numbers above, it seems the fronts are the same and the rears might be different (based on the part numbers other sponsors have listed for the SLP and HD).
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Used to be the fronts were different, rears the same--back when the B46-1913/1914 were the shocks they were using. You just proved my point, there are no absolutes and the terms "HD and SLP" aren't telling exactly what you have.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Hey guys I know this is a pretty old post but I've had some issues with my new Bilstein shocks.

I had the regular old Delco ones and when they wore out I purchased the 24-024068 direct replacement shocks that re-use the old seats from the Delco shocks.

The problem is, is that the seats wont come off the old shocks because of the shape of the tube, and also after measuring it, the seat's opening is only 1.7 inches, when it needs to be 1.9 to fit around the Bilstein shock.

I really don't know what to do at this point, any help would be highly appreciated

Quick Reply: Question about SLP Bilstein part #