Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New shock\springs on stock formula.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shock\springs on stock formula.

Thinking about ordering this tomorrow from the ws6 store.
93-02 Bilstein/Eibach Shocks/Springs (Front/Rear Set)

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2099

I have searched a ton and found that everyone loves the bilsteins. But what about the Eibach springs? I can't find much on them. Do I need to upgrade my springs on a daily driver which will see some 1/4 mile time? Or are the stock springs fine? I don't want to lower my car that much if any and these look like they won't. Is this the best way to go? No other suspension mods yet. But I plan on adding more soon.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to lower the car, just stick with the stock springs. I'm using Koni 4/4's and stock springs, and these shocks made a huge difference with the ride/handling of the car.

BTW, those springs have many mixed reviews.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the quick reply. Are the koni shocks worth spending the extra money on? I have read that they r superior to the bilsteins but does the cost justify how much better?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it depends. I've never ridden in a Bilstein equipped fbody, and I've heard that they work very well with stock springs.

However, when I got my Koni's I wanted something that would last as long as I owned the car and would take lowering springs/lowering with stock springs if I wanted to throw that at the car. I guess I can't say if it's completely worth it with stock springs, but I would say that I don't have any regrets with going with the more expensive shocks. I've been happy with my Koni's, however I can say that my stock shocks rode a bit better on crappy roads, but those shocks didn't handle nearly as well in the corners, inspire the amount of confidence, or feel as stable in the straits (by any stretch of the imagination, lol). If I were you and want some flexibility, I'd go with the Koni's.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the SLP package ≈5 yrs ago. I liked it, but the stance was kind of funny (rear looked lower than the front), so I put the stock rear springs back in. It handled a lot better, but still not quite like I wanted to (e.g., European sports car)

Right now I'm running Konis (double adj front and single adj rear) with ProKit front & SLP/Eibach rear. It's way too bouncy and low up front, so I'm going to reinstall the SLP/Eibachs up front.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^

The bouncy ride sounds like an adjustment issue on the Koni's.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
I bought the SLP package ≈5 yrs ago. I liked it, but the stance was kind of funny (rear looked lower than the front), so I put the stock rear springs back in. It handled a lot better, but still not quite like I wanted to (e.g., European sports car)

Right now I'm running Konis (double adj front and single adj rear) with ProKit front & SLP/Eibach rear. It's way too bouncy and low up front, so I'm going to reinstall the SLP/Eibachs up front.
X2 with the above post.
What do you have the konis set at? Did you buy them used, and do you think they are blown out?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the front Konis are used, but apparently not for very long. The friend I bought them from said she installed them, didn't drive on them, then bough QA1s instead. They actually looked brand new. I'll have to check the settings. The rears are on full stiff I think and were bought new online from one of the sponsors. I might just set everything to full stiff and work backward (vs full soft, where I know I started)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well the front Konis are used, but apparently not for very long. The friend I bought them from said she installed them, didn't drive on them, then bough QA1s instead.
Thats a strange swap...
Its always a possibility that they are blown, especially if they are bouncing.
They actually looked brand new. I'll have to check the settings. The rears are on full stiff I think and were bought new online from one of the sponsors. I might just set everything to full stiff and work backward (vs full soft, where I know I started)
What setting they are on will make a big difference. I can tell you right now that full stiff in the rear is probably too much.
Set the compression low in the front for starters and play with the rebound setting until you like it.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the front Konis are used, but apparently not for very long. The friend I bought them from said she installed them, didn't drive on them, then bough QA1s instead. They actually looked brand new. I'll have to check the settings. The rears are on full stiff I think and were bought new online from one of the sponsors. I might just set everything to full stiff and work backward (vs full soft, where I know I started)
Just to close the loop on this (so I can delete my bookmark)... a piece was missing!!! Solved my issue real quick!!

note: I'm back to SLP Bilsteins & SLP Eibachs again; however, thinking of reverting to OEM springs and possible drop spindles (will have to be custom made. LG Motorsports?)
Attached Thumbnails New shock\springs on stock formula.-p1000237e_640x480.jpg  
Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Koni STR.T and stock springs would probably work out nicely. The stock springs are actually pretty good. The problem is the shocks. The non-adjustable Street Konis are about the same price as the Bilsteins. I would go that route...

Quick Reply: New shock\springs on stock formula.