Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need short shocks for exhaust clearance

Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need short shocks for exhaust clearance

i need some shorter shocks so my axle doesnt extent and hit my under-axle exhaust. who makes custom length or just really short shocks?

i aleady searched and googled the **** out of it.

Last edited by rumblebox; 11-02-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got some custom shorter shocks before from Hal/QA1 quite a few years ago.
Maybe you can use/make some limiting straps, like they use with offroad race trucks.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just remember that the shorter the shock, the less suspension travel distance you have, meaning you might be using the shocks instead of the bump-stops. Not a good thing.

De-ghetto the exhaust and run normal shocks - it'll be cheaper and easier than trying to have a custom set of shocks worked up.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
De-ghetto the exhaust and run normal shocks - it'll be cheaper and easier than trying to have a custom set of shocks worked up.
It'll also ride better, and handle better.... Talk about cutting your nose of in spite of your face. I know that folks want to take the easy way on exhaust--but compromising your suspension isn't wise. They are pipes, make them fit, or settle for a single system. FWIW, I've seen duals in the stock location that were awesome fit--but they were custom and took some time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It'll also ride better, and handle better.... Talk about cutting your nose of in spite of your face. I know that folks want to take the easy way on exhaust--but compromising your suspension isn't wise. They are pipes, make them fit, or settle for a single system. FWIW, I've seen duals in the stock location that were awesome fit--but they were custom and took some time.

Couldnt have said it better.

225-343-9029
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

I've got to see some pics of this exhaust, it must be killer. Most of us are looking for more susepension travel since we've lowered our cars, this is the first I've heard of someone looking for less travel.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont see how shortening the shaft will make me bottom out on the shock tube. but anyway:

having unequal length true duals defeats the purpose of true duals.

i considered making limiting straps too. that's my most likely route. i already figured out how to do it professionally. i dont want to ditch the sway bar. the car's main purpose is going to be autoX and road racing when it's finished.

excuse the stock suspension parts. i got 2k worth of parts in the mail today that are going on tomorrow when i get off work.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

after building an x pipe setup i will NEVER go back to the traditional Y pipe setup, no matter how custom i have to get. i like the corvette/gto sound

BTW i'm still waiting on my tips from borla. they're out of stock.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are getting enough axle travel to drop & hit your pipes during normal driving, shorter shocks will just top out, stopping extension. Remember this will also unload the tires possibly sending you into a severe oversteer condition as it lifts a tire off the ground. Not a way to make the car handle....

Looks like your sway bar will hit the exhaust....
Car would be safer with the correct travel shocks & no sway bar, but I'm sure you will not like the handling.

Fix your exhaust instead of ruining your suspension.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

it doesnt hit while driving. it only hits when i put it on a 2 post lift or jack it up. i had the sway bar off for a week after i installed the dana 60, and i didnt really notice much of a difference. without the sway bar, i wouldnt even need shorter shocks. the whole purpose is to keep the sway bar.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can run true dual without going under the axle, search the "true dual" thread in the Gen 3 external engine section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/13204480-post764.html

If your main purpose is auto-x/road racing then compromising suspension for exhaust sound probably isn't too smart.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rumblebox

having unequal length true duals defeats the purpose of true duals.
...uh...
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rumblebox
the car's main purpose is going to be autoX and road racing when it's finished.
One thing to think about for autox is sound decibel limits. True duals are usually pretty loud. Autox events usually are strict about sound. I had corsa catback, catted y pipe with kooks, and was too loud. I changed to a magnaflow exhaust to pass.

True duals seems like something a drag racer would do, not an autox/road race car. I don't really know what shortening the shock shaft would do.. but I'd look into how that would make you handle.

If rr/ax is your main goal.. seems like your on the typical road a lot of people take when they start out. "I need all these mods before my car is ready".. then later find out that it only made it more difficult to compete. As long as you are just doing it for fun. If you eventually want to compete, I suggest discussing with someone with experience before going mod crazy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need short shocks for exhaust clearance