Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering springs + larger wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lowering springs + larger wheels??

Hello All.

I have a 2002 SS that's sitting at the standard "monster truck" stock ride height. Upgraded the wheels to aftermarket C6 replicas -- 18" x 9.5" in the front (Nitto 555 radials) and 18" x 10.5" in the rear (305 Nitto drag radials).

From a clearance standpoint I'm OK right now. Still have to be careful of big speed bumps and parking lots with bumps. The headers are the first to drag, however if I hit a bump hard and the rears hit the bump stops the fenders (which aren't rolled) end up cutting into the edge of my tires. I can live with that for now.

Here's my dilemna -- I'd love to find a way to drop the ride height by an inch without dealing with a bunch of fitment problems with the tires and wheels. From my research, it looks like most of the kits leave you with a 1.25 - 2.00" drop. With the speed bumps in my condo complex, I don't think I could live with that much. Any idea of a way to get a modest 1" drop without major modifications or sacrafice in ride quality?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can keep your stock SS springs and buy a set of Koni Single Adj. Lower perch on the front 3/4", and do a hose mod at the back 3/4" at the back.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Hello All.

I have a 2002 SS that's sitting at the standard "monster truck" stock ride height. Upgraded the wheels to aftermarket C6 replicas -- 18" x 9.5" in the front (Nitto 555 radials) and 18" x 10.5" in the rear (305 Nitto drag radials).

From a clearance standpoint I'm OK right now. Still have to be careful of big speed bumps and parking lots with bumps. The headers are the first to drag, however if I hit a bump hard and the rears hit the bump stops the fenders (which aren't rolled) end up cutting into the edge of my tires. I can live with that for now.

Here's my dilemna -- I'd love to find a way to drop the ride height by an inch without dealing with a bunch of fitment problems with the tires and wheels. From my research, it looks like most of the kits leave you with a 1.25 - 2.00" drop. With the speed bumps in my condo complex, I don't think I could live with that much. Any idea of a way to get a modest 1" drop without major modifications or sacrafice in ride quality?

Thanks!
The choice above is the best IMO(should leave you with the best ride for that height, should be a pretty exact drop, and will also give you amazing handling and control), but you do have other alternatives by buying springs (although they risk dropping you more than you want because some cars get lower than others for what ever reason).
Hotchkis claims a 1" drop:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7
And then there are the "factory optional" SLP springs which are supposed to by a 1" drop:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7
No no matter how you drop the car your ride quality will change, it might not be bad though.
If you do go with lowering springs it would be a good idea to get better shocks (gas charged sport shocks) if you are looking for better ride quality, the stockers leave a lot to be desired on stock springs, none the less lower stiffer springs.
Make sure you search as well, some springs are more consistent than others at claimed height.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the insight guys -- two options that I really wasn't aware of. I'll dig a little deeper into this however I like the idea of simply upgrading to the konis and lowering 3/4". Should be a great compromise.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have C5 DD 18x9.5 F 18x10.5R and i got B+G 1.5" drop had to trip a bit of the rear bump stops and no rubbing issues. Falken 275F and 295R
Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock or lowered ride height isn't going to make much of a difference with wider wheels. The clearance issue is on the sides, not the top. At stock height your max compression is your bumpstops no matter what. I personally wouldn't want my wheels capable of rubbing on the bumpstops. Your choices are probably either putting in a small spacer or trimming the bumpstop (I wouldn't remove them).
Old 12-12-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock springs with Koni's would be my recommendation too. Not too much of a drop if you use the lower perch/heater hose mod, but it'll still maintain good ride quality and drastically improve handling/stability.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs + larger wheels??