Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ladder Bar Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladder Bar Setup

The racecraft kit is similar to the top pic of my horrible drawings and the madman kit is similar to the lower drawing....

My question is which setup would be better? I don't have a drag car, it never will be. I want a good handling street car. I have been researching some 2 link kits and I don't see a problem with them IMO. I don't really care for the TA setup and I'm swapping in an 8.8 and don't want to hassle with making a TA bracket or swapping axle tubes.

I'd really like to set up a 4 link, but the really short upper bars don't seem worth the extra work vs the 2 link.

So which is a better design?? I'm going to assume that madman has more research and time invested into testing his setup, but does his make the rear lift more than the racecraft style kit?

Let me know what you guys think....
Attached Thumbnails Ladder Bar Setup-ladder-bar.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing huh?? I figured someone would have something to say.

I am curious if one of the setups acts more like a "lift" bar? I have heard that both act like a lift bar, but which one is worse
Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The longer second arm would, theoretically, provide more leverage, meaning a faster instant center (if my physics are right).

Aside from not having to fab the 8.8", not really sure why you'd want to go with either for a handling-goal car.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Element
The longer second arm would, theoretically, provide more leverage, meaning a faster instant center (if my physics are right).

Aside from not having to fab the 8.8", not really sure why you'd want to go with either for a handling-goal car.
I personally don't like how the TA makes the car feel, I would rather have a 4 link. I know that the TA is better for handling and so on, but I'm just not a fan. They hook well, I have had a short spohn tunnel mount and it klunked so bad I thought my car was coming undone and now I have my UMI tranny mounted arm and its beefy, but I don't like the strain on the tailshaft (I know I can relocate it) and very little clearance for exhaust.

I personally think that a good handling car can have a 2 link, but I guess theres only one way to find out. I have a long list of suspension mods for this winter and this project is on the top.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I personally don't like how the TA makes the car feel, I would rather have a 4 link. I know that the TA is better for handling and so on, but I'm just not a fan. They hook well, I have had a short spohn tunnel mount and it klunked so bad I thought my car was coming undone and now I have my UMI tranny mounted arm and its beefy, but I don't like the strain on the tailshaft (I know I can relocate it) and very little clearance for exhaust.

I personally think that a good handling car can have a 2 link, but I guess theres only one way to find out. I have a long list of suspension mods for this winter and this project is on the top.
Im curious, what don't you like about how it "feels"? I don't think Ive ever heard anyone complain about a 3 link setup, and I know Ive heard of number people switching from a 4 link setup to a 3 link for better handling.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im curious, what don't you like about how it "feels"? I don't think Ive ever heard anyone complain about a 3 link setup, and I know Ive heard of number people switching from a 4 link setup to a 3 link for better handling.
Honestly I don't know. I have driven several mustangs and like the way they felt vs the f bodies. I know alot of mustang guys are switching to a 3 link, but I have never been a fan of the TA. I've had stock, tunnel mounted, and now a UMI full length bar and have dislike every one. Not talking down on anyones products, they were all great pieces, just not what I like.

I may end up keeping my UMI TA and see if I like the setup I'm going to. Theres going to be alot of changes in my rear suspension this winter...shocks, replacing the springs with air bags, ditching the PHB for a watts setup, and I'm sure theres more.

I know a big problem with a 2 link is the axle doesn't want to articulate but I think I'll have enough heim joints to make some flex. Its not like I have a rock crawling camaro, but a little articulation is key IMO.

I guess theres only one way for me to find out if its for me, just build it. And if I don't like it, I'll change it.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll be starting a build thread in a few weeks once the parts start rolling in
Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious....you're going for a handling-goal car, but using airbags in the rear?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly I don't know. I have driven several mustangs and like the way they felt vs the f bodies. I know alot of mustang guys are switching to a 3 link, but I have never been a fan of the TA. I've had stock, tunnel mounted, and now a UMI full length bar and have dislike every one. Not talking down on anyones products, they were all great pieces, just not what I like.
Did you ever think that maybe it was that certain Mustang's suspension setup(shocks, springs, swaybars, tires etc.), and not the fact its a 4 link vs a 3 link?
Can you be more specific on what you want out of this? More rear traction? Tighter rear end?
If you want to make the rear feel more planted/connected and much tighter instead of spending all the time and money on a 4 link setup (and possibly still not getting what you want) why not attack the weakest link and replace the **** factory shocks with performance shocks(and do the front too while you're at it)? Now that will make a hell of a difference.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Element
Just curious....you're going for a handling-goal car, but using airbags in the rear?
And the problem is??? Most people don't understand an airbag. Look at ridetechs website, granted their stuff is probably blown a little out of proportion but you can get an idea.

JD-AMG-I don't want to get into a battle over this. I have made up my mind and am going through with my decision. I'm not paying someone to do the work, the parts are pretty reasonable, and I have basically nothing to loose. If it handles like **** I'll change it.

And BTW some of the mustangs were stock, some not. Granted I don't have great suspension parts in my car, I never said that I did. There are a few guys with street cars that have this style of setup. I'm not building a drag car, or an autox car for that matter. I have a street car and it will always be that way.

Now if anyone has any info as to the questions I asked please respond, otherwise I'll delete the post if its not going to produce any info

Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

And the problem is??? Most people don't understand an airbag. Look at ridetechs website, granted their stuff is probably blown a little out of proportion but you can get an idea.
I know a bit about 'bagged setups, I've been around plenty of trucks that can lay frame. My opinion, but you'll either be pulling the airbags out or dealing with a shitty rear suspension once you get everything finished. They're smooth, sure, but I've never seen one setup that could deal with rapidly-changing dynamic road conditions. *shrug*

Have you emailed/PM'd Madman to ask about his ladder bar setup in context of handling, rather than straight-line performance? The biggest issue may be too much rearward instant center, but I couldn't speak to that as fact.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Now if anyone has any info as to the questions I asked please respond, otherwise I'll delete the post if its not going to produce any info

Ok. Air bag rates tend to skyrocket once you get to their full compression. In my opinion I'd say that's bad for handling because I wouldn't care for the un-smooth transition into oversteer.

I think there was just another thread about this recently. You say you don't know how it works.. you just know the Mustang has it. But.. just because they both have the same rear setup doesn't mean it's going to work the same way.

If you want an actual competitive handling setup, you might want to at least look into what road racers or autox drivers have for their setups. Not saying your setup idea isn't.. but thats only because I don't know personally. I just haven't ever heard of too many people doing that swap for handling.. just drag.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Ok the more I research the 2 link that more I'm turned away from it. I'm reading that the lower bars would have to be ~38" long to get the correct instant center, otherwise the rear of the car will lift instead of pulling the weight off the front of the car to plant the rear tires.

So I think the 2 link is out, but now I'm going to see what I can come up with as far as a 4 link is concerned. So thanks for making me look into the setup more.

As far as the airbags go, sorry but those are staying and they are already on the way I'm not trying to build Stranos camaro, but I am going to use some of his parts (sway bars) I'm not going to be using any compressors, or an air tank for that matter, just schrader valves under the rear trim panels.

Quick Reply: Ladder Bar Setup