Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to camaro put back to stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:38 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to camaro put back to stock suspension?

I just bought a 2002 camaro z/28 and i got a great deal on it. however the previous owner lowered it. I'm not sure how much but i'm not a big fan of it. I think in the rear people just use different springs, but in the front is it also as simple as a spring swap?

What is all used to lower these cars? Is it simply shorter springs? If so i could simply remove those and reinstall stock springs and it would sit and ride like a stock camaro? or is there more to it suck as different knuckles and such? I'm not familiar with lowering a car as i've never done it, only with lifting pickups etc...

Also instead of going back to stock suspension would there be a spring and strut package that would ride nice and smooth yet handle decent? I'm not an auto cross racer, i just want a comfortable smooth and quiet ride. Is stock my best bet? i don't want to spend a lot of money.

thanks for any and all help. If there is anyone out there that wants to trade stock springs for lowering ones i would be interested.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that lowers the car is the springs, although it is possible to lower using other means, for instance, the Koni front shocks have two separate perches which allow the front spring to rest at a lower spot, and it's possible to remove the spring isolators on the rear and use a heater hose (heater hose mod is a sticky) to give a slight drop also. However, most cars you find won't have it set up like this, and more than likely it's just a spring swap.

To answer your second question, the best ride will result from stock springs and good aftermarket shocks, such as Koni's, Bilsteins, or even KYB's. Putting a nice set of shocks paired with the stock springs will give you a smooth, comfortable ride and also increase the handling. I'm using Koni 4/4 shocks with the stock springs now, and I would say that the stock shocks possibly made it more comfortable on some surfaces, but having about 95% of the ride quality paired with the stability and handling that I get from the Koni's would make me never go back
Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
The only thing that lowers the car is the springs, although it is possible to lower using other means, for instance, the Koni front shocks have two separate perches which allow the front spring to rest at a lower spot, and it's possible to remove the spring isolators on the rear and use a heater hose (heater hose mod is a sticky) to give a slight drop also. However, most cars you find won't have it set up like this, and more than likely it's just a spring swap.

To answer your second question, the best ride will result from stock springs and good aftermarket shocks, such as Koni's, Bilsteins, or even KYB's. Putting a nice set of shocks paired with the stock springs will give you a smooth, comfortable ride and also increase the handling. I'm using Koni 4/4 shocks with the stock springs now, and I would say that the stock shocks possibly made it more comfortable on some surfaces, but having about 95% of the ride quality paired with the stability and handling that I get from the Koni's would make me never go back
Thank you so much this is exactly what i wanted to know.

I guess is there any way to measure the spring once it is out to identify how much of a lowering spring it really is? I will likely sell them and the buyers will want to know how much it will lower the car.

thanks again!!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could get a pic of them it's sometimes easy to figure out the brand/model based on color/design, etc.

Glad I could help btw

Quick Reply: How to camaro put back to stock suspension?