Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stupid question inbound: Rear shock brace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid question inbound: Rear shock brace?

I swore at one point I remember some one making a rear shock brace for our cars. I was wondering if there is any merit to it? (likely not since it doesn't seem to be in production). But regardless I figured it would make a good subject for/against the idea.

Would this serve to box the rear suspension and prevent torsional movement? Could it mount utilizing the shock bolts and hatch mounts? (it would look almost like a small convertible roll bar)

I'm sure I could rig something simple up to try it, but I figured I'd get a discussion going on it to see if it would even be worthwhile, especially since the tubular rear suspension components work so well. Every bit helps right? I'm sure Sam and some of the other guys could definitely give some useful insight/input!

Discuss!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by $750 L98
I swore at one point I remember some one making a rear shock brace for our cars. I was wondering if there is any merit to it? (likely not since it doesn't seem to be in production). But regardless I figured it would make a good subject for/against the idea.

Would this serve to box the rear suspension and prevent torsional movement? Could it mount utilizing the shock bolts and hatch mounts? (it would look almost like a small convertible roll bar)

I'm sure I could rig something simple up to try it, but I figured I'd get a discussion going on it to see if it would even be worthwhile, especially since the tubular rear suspension components work so well. Every bit helps right? I'm sure Sam and some of the other guys could definitely give some useful insight/input!

Discuss!
I think it was more for racing seat harness.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That may have been what I saw, it's been a while since I've last seen it. I just noticed a lot of the import guys use the rear brace (some of my friends like the subarus and what not). So I was wondering if it might even be more relevant to our cars considering the amount of torque we put the rear of the chassis through.

But in the end I might end up being told I should just invest in a tow hitch LOL, we will see.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by $750 L98
That may have been what I saw, it's been a while since I've last seen it. I just noticed a lot of the import guys use the rear brace (some of my friends like the subarus and what not). So I was wondering if it might even be more relevant to our cars considering the amount of torque we put the rear of the chassis through.

But in the end I might end up being told I should just invest in a tow hitch LOL, we will see.
ya the ricer, import guys have front wheel drive, we have a live axel rear, they need it we dont.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

In the import cars it is a rear strut bar that they use. Since we have shocks and not struts there is not need for it. If you're worried about stiffness get a set of SFCs
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got ya, I wasn't sure if there was an actual torsional force put on the rear shocks to justify a rear brace. I just got SFC but they need to be welded in. I cannot keep them from coming loose lol, then again I put them on while laying on my back in the driveway. Hardly the most efficient way to torque the LCA bolts.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssam98
ya the ricer, import guys have front wheel drive, we have a live axel rear, they need it we dont.
Man, that explains it all!

Really though, the shocks do not bear any load on the body. There is a bit of up and down force, but the location of the shocks are very rigid with the bends in the metal, and thickness of the metal there.

Same debate was going on and on in the fox body mustang world. Only time they seemed to be worth anything is when coil overs were used, and the weight was supported on the trunks sheet metal.

Quick Reply: Stupid question inbound: Rear shock brace?