Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fays 2 Watts Link - Another Stranoparts Satisfied Customer

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fays 2 Watts Link - Another Stranoparts Satisfied Customer

Got the Fays 2 Watts link, UMI torque arm, and Hellwig Adjustable rear purchased from Sam on the car last Friday in time for a Saturday autocross:

Note on pics: these were taken with the suspension unloaded and before the car was finished, so I know about the arms not being equal, end links not hooked up, etc.

In terms of how the car drives, these are my thoughts (my previous setup was 100% stock panhard bar, rod ended control arms, torque arm, and a 1le rear bar).

Daily driving: The rear end is more civilized than stock. When you go over bumps the rear end no longer 'jumps' around, upsetting the car. The closest thing I can compare it to is that the car behaves more like an IRS than a stick axle car. In "Spirited" driving (60-80%) the torque arm gives you a lot more grip.

Autocross (315 Kumho V710 tires): Ran the Watts Link on the 'middle' roll center hole, set the sway bar on the 'middle' setting. I was mostly trying to just get used to the car, so I didn't make and changes to the handling except tire pressures. The rear end is very controllable with this setup, took out all the 'slop' and unpredictability in the rear end. The car comes around nicely in slaloms now. Didn't experience any brake hop yesterday, which has been a huge PITA since I upgraded to the 315s. There is a lot of potential in this setup once I relearn it and dial it in. Expensive upgrade, but well worth the money.

Usual pluses buying from Sam: quick shipping, always available by email or phone for tech questions. Thanks Sam!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Glad you like it Ryan! That's a far distant mod for me, especially since I upgraded the entire rear with adjustable last winter.

If the rear goes out, is that set-up availabe to use on a 9", S60, ect.???
Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Glad you like it Ryan! That's a far distant mod for me, especially since I upgraded the entire rear with adjustable last winter.

Its my understanding that it works with different axle housings, you just have to get the correct sized axle clamps.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it works with traditional housings, but not fab housings (fab 9", etc.)....however, I think MWC has their own design.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert

The axle clamps will fit axles that use 3" OD axle tubes. So if you have one on a 10-bolt and go to something like a 9", the Watts link can still be used.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01badz28
Got the Fays 2 Watts link, UMI torque arm, and Hellwig Adjustable rear purchased from Sam on the car last Friday in time for a Saturday autocross:

Daily driving: The rear end is more civilized than stock. When you go over bumps the rear end no longer 'jumps' around, upsetting the car. The closest thing I can compare it to is that the car behaves more like an IRS than a stick axle car. In "Spirited" driving (60-80%) the torque arm gives you a lot more grip.

Autocross (315 Kumho V710 tires): Ran the Watts Link on the 'middle' roll center hole, set the sway bar on the 'middle' setting. I was mostly trying to just get used to the car, so I didn't make and changes to the handling except tire pressures. The rear end is very controllable with this setup, took out all the 'slop' and unpredictability in the rear end. The car comes around nicely in slaloms now. Didn't experience any brake hop yesterday, which has been a huge PITA since I upgraded to the 315s. There is a lot of potential in this setup once I relearn it and dial it in. Expensive upgrade, but well worth the money.

Usual pluses buying from Sam: quick shipping, always available by email or phone for tech questions. Thanks Sam!

Hey Ryan--

Glad you got everything installed for your event, and that it's all working well for you. If you want or need to discuss Watts link Roll center heights vs. swaybar adjustment (or just either of those), you know the number.

And as always thank you, and all my customers for taking the time to post your results. Small businesses like mind rely on the word of mouth of happy customers!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Hey Ryan--

Glad you got everything installed for your event, and that it's all working well for you. If you want or need to discuss Watts link Roll center heights vs. swaybar adjustment (or just either of those), you know the number.

And as always thank you, and all my customers for taking the time to post your results. Small businesses like mind rely on the word of mouth of happy customers!
Thanks Sam! I'll be bugging you about setup when I buy new tires for next season. My R compounds are three years old and very dead - I didn't see much of a point in playing with setups yet.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah, heat cycled tires aren't what you want to be doing setup work on. New tires will tighten the car up considerably.

Quick Reply: Fays 2 Watts Link - Another Stranoparts Satisfied Customer