Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tokico shocks vs Blisteins

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico shocks vs Blisteins

What you guys think? Anyone ran both? What shocks with eibach sportlines?

Wouldnt mind other input as well.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

come on dude, you be sorry if you run that set up. did you read what sam said.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Made this thread at the same time. I didnt want to clutter up the thread with too many questions. I figured this would be easier to keep the discussion on topic.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the SLP BIlstein Eibach pkg and it was a good step up from stock. The ride was good, but a little floaty on challenging roads or when pushing the car. I moved up to the Konis only and there was waaay more control over the cars' mass. No more floatiness for sure! The ride was firm and responsive, not jarring by any means. After awhile, I moved up to the Strano springs and the ride quality was the same as with the SLP springs, but the roadholding was much higher. Maybe you could keep your stock springs and pony up to the Konis (with the option to use lower perch and heater hose mod for lowering) and should you require more spring rate or lowering, at least you know the dampers will be up to a spring upgrade. Depending on the springs you run, the shocks can really take a beating and wear out quickly with the associated poor damping, poor ride quality etc. Buy the good stuff once, it saves $ in the long run compared to swapping out mediocre parts after the car rides like an oxcart and you can't take it any longer.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Well, I think pewter2002's post sums it up.... Short and too the point, and compares a number of setups.

Bilstein vs. Tokico only.... that's Bilstein all the way. Little price difference, even less when you consider I have free shipping on the SLP Bilstein's currently, and they are much better built. I have Tokico, sold a set last week in fact, so if you want to go that way--I have you covered there as well.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i still have tokico's up front, but switched to koni's in the rear. (bmr springs) i was more worried about the slamming effect i used to get with the tokico's in the rear, no more. so if your looking to save cash, get better shocks on the rear, and fronts can be less...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, they *can* be less.... but you saw the difference the rears made, what makes you think that fronts wouldn't also help?????

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I installed my pair of used front Bilsteins on my son's V6 car and a pair of new Tokico blues on the rear. It seemed like a good combo and rode well - at first. As time has gone on, though, and the miles have gone by, the Tokicos have gotten weak. Add any weight in the rear and you're on the bumpstops. Go over some dips and the inadequate dampening shows up ... yet the older Bilsteins keep truckin' on.

I don't think there's any question - go with the Bilsteins. If you have another $100 or so, an even better choice is to use Koni 3's on full soft in the rear with the front Bilsteins. I have had that setup on my two M6 cars and really like it.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RevGTO

I don't think there's any question - go with the Bilsteins. If you have another $100 or so, an even better choice is to use Koni 3's on full soft in the rear with the front Bilsteins. I have had that setup on my two M6 cars and really like it.
You just opened up a can of worms my man. Now i have to consider that possibility as well.

is "8241-1140 Sport" the part # for koni 4/4 or 4/3 rear?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by tmdz28
You just opened up a can of worms my man. Now i have to consider that possibility as well.

is "8241-1140 Sport" the part # for koni 4/4 or 4/3 rear?
Those are the "4/4" rears.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is true, but my fronts never slammed like the rear did. plus the fronts are double the price! but yes one day with a better job i will give in...

Quick Reply: Tokico shocks vs Blisteins