Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some advice on lowering my 99 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on lowering my 99 T/A

Ok ive done a little research on here to see what springs everyone is using on their cars. Ive heard dms, and qa1's are good ive seen the dms and i really like the way they sit and people are saying they wont start to sag. But one thing im a curious about is im going to put x-pipe and true duals on my car and they dont have much clearance with the x-pipe but with it being lowered makes me a little indecisive on really how much clearance ill have.

if some of yall that have your car lowered please help me out and post some pictures.

thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. This post has more info than I can type here as well as great pictures.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pics-too.html

Suffice it to say you will lose ground clearance being lowered with a y-pipe too if you're not careful. I tore off one on the highway once running over a brake booster from a dump truck.

I've ran eibach's in the past and strano springs now. I have more clearance now, and I had my underbody beat in a little to make room. From what I've read on true duals, if you're lowered you probably will have a tough time going all the way out the back without a panhard relocation kit or strano's watts link. If you're just doing dumps before the axle, being lowered you have to make sure use round mufflers and that they tuck into the driveshaft tunnel real good.

Last edited by Viper; 12-04-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^

What he said......
Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default suspension

i was just curious because i have stock springs and shocks, and i want to put new suspension and i thaught about lowering it because they look like a 4x4 compared to a lowered car, and plus it looks alot better. but im putting xpipe and dumps and i plan on putting prostars on eventually, its not a daily and i dont take it to the track i bring it out on the weekends. i know its going to scrape on some stuff and you have to be more cautious but i was just wondering how low itll be with that set up.

thanks

Last edited by tylerdenton; 12-05-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its possible, many people have it, and there are many solutions. i have longtubes, 3" y out to catback, and bmr springs, and they say for these my car sits exceptionally low. yay me. but shocks help a lot with bottoming out, and tuck that exhaust as close as you can, and plan accordingly with suspension parts you will use in future. i angle over speed bumps, and still rub on some. tall rims help too. or spring spacers. dumps will be loud. search is your friend, hope this helps, and dont be afraid to ask. i do plan on a 3" td system, probably under axle, and tucking will be a science. check out the new kooks td system for ideas, or that sticky mentioned above.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We have a ton of people running our 1.25" lowering springs with their Kooks True Dual kit. The Kooks kit tucks up nice and high and is not a concern.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Default true duals?

would someone post some pictures of cars that are lowered with true dual dumps. and also of the kook true dual setup..

thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the TD sticky or search. pics are out there. or just google, iotll bring u to this site anyway. dont use QA1's for a street car, those r more for track...
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and +1 for BMR!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default shocks?

what shocks should i go with that are not a rediculous price, but that are still good shocks? i dont want to tie up alot of money in them.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Launching!

koni if your lowering, other shocks will work but not as good. bilstein would be next best option, but call strano from stranoperformance and see what he suggests, he also carries the kyb agx but I think most people would recommend you the bilstein as they are better built.

Doing the spring install isnt fun, so do it once and do it right. If your not doing it all at once make sure you cover everything in anti seize I had a trouble getting the shocks and upper mount apart with the stock shocks and a month later koni had started to stick a bit. You might want budget for upper mounts, as they may or may not be in good shape. I couldnt get the old decarbon shaft out of the one mount so had to have it drilled out by a shop. Mounts are 150 each here so not cheap. The technique I used since my nuts were so rusted was trying to cut if off with a dremel, what a gigantic waste of time, cut the decarbon shaft if everything is caked in rust then pound it out with a punch. Good luck hope you get the ride your looking for, and your install goes easier then mine lol.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

whats a good website to get the koni shocks from? whats a layout of all the parts you'll need so itll be a good setup. dms springs, koni shocks, panhard bar ive heard you need to get, and what else?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tylerdenton
whats a good website to get the koni shocks from? whats a layout of all the parts you'll need so itll be a good setup. dms springs, koni shocks, panhard bar ive heard you need to get, and what else?
Bmr, Stranoparts, UMI, Summit, Jegs, etc...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Teching In

i did a google search for dms springs and came up with 0. where do i order these?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

granatelli baught dms, but you can call granatelli and still get the same springs their number is 1-805-240-3022
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Tyler--

I have Koni's in stock, and I also sell SLP Bilstein's which are a good bit less money. We also have packages that include either shocks with my SP141 lowering springs.

I'd be happy to discuss details with you about the various parts and how they work together and what might work best for your needs. Also I support the product after the sale, for instance setting up Koni's properly takes a bit of knowledge and I go through that stuff with my customers. I use them on my own car and have for years.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Need some advice on lowering my 99 T/A