Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CTSv Brakes, why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTSv Brakes, why?

If I were to purchase the 1998 Trans Am that I am looking at what would the CTSv brakes do for me? This car currently has ATE rotors, stainless lines, fresh calipers and Hawk pads. All of that with under 1k miles on the "new" brake setup.

For a road car with very spirited driving in canyons at the most as it will never see the track, how would the two stack up against each other?

Thanks,
Lawrence
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

the brakes already on that car are perfectly fine. putting the CTSV setup would be primarily for looks with what you plan on doing with the car.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock brakes, when set up correctly (which looks like you have done) are actually pretty damn good. While you might see an improvement with the CTSv calipers, but I think you'll be perfectly fine with what you have, especially without tracking it.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what i've read, the cts-v brakes are a very nice improvement over stock brakes. if i wasn't planning on building my car for street/strip, i would get a set but i just don't have a need for them.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory 2 piston front brakes are adequete, yes, but the CTS-V brakes are 3 or 4 Piston (cant remember which) and will certainly be better performing.

(with comperable pad/rotor quality)
Bigger rotor+Bigger Caliper=better stopping power
Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The old CTS-V ones are 4, the new ones are 6.

Piston count isn't everything though. And also consider if you have enough grip with your tires to even warrant more brake clamping force. Then there is the question of whether the calipers will fit under your wheels without funky offsets or spacers.

As far as the rotors, there are all sorts of setups out there to give you bigger rotors. They should at least help with brake fade as they have more mass. But again, unless you have the grip from the tire to take advantage of the increased braking torque then you haven't really gained all that much.

For a street driven car the most cost effective way to improve your brakes would be quality pads, quality blank rotors, flush with quality brake fluid, perhaps get some SS brake lines, and most importantly put good tires on the car. If the car in the original post has all of these things than the CTS-V setup may be a little better, if you can fit it under your wheels.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Why? Because some folks want the bling. Some (much fewer) need that sort of setup for track work--though I don't like the whole spacer thing that seems to be required--spacers on a track car aren't ideal. Just another link in the chain to fail.

Here's the way you need to look at things.... If you are happy with the braking power, feel, and performance of what you have, no need to change.

I have a car with Brembo's (2011 Mustang), and you know, it's not any help anywhere short of on a racetrack over the stock brakes. The shorter stopping distances you see are because Brembo Mustangs have stickier tires than the other cars. But the same tires on and the normal brakes stop just as well in normal use, even some panic use. So why you ask did I buy a Brembo car? Simple--comes with a 9" wheel vs. 8.5's on other cars and for autox, that 1/2" of rim is helpful.

Back to your car. Big difference between the ATE/Hawk and the stock setup, right? Happy with it?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

I would fall under the appearance part for my car for them. I could have went all out for an aftermarket setup, but I like the factory look. Figured been thru so many different combinations in my engine and suspension. A few on my brakes( rotors/pads/braided lines) and would like to see if there is a significant stopping difference. I dont have access to a controled test so once I get the wheels and tires I can do my own test. Meaning not a proffesional to give any technical journalism article. wont be till next month till all parts are installed. Unless the folks from GMHTP can get back on here to let us know how their car performed with better shocks/spring combination.