Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI poly/roto rear lca clunking

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI poly/roto rear lca clunking

I put UMI poly/roto rear lcas on my car a couple months ago. They were good for the first few weeks, then one started clunking more and more. I took it off a few days ago, loosened the set screw, tightened the adjustable part, tightened the set screw, and torqued it on my car with the suspension loaded, and the clunking stopped for a few days. The jam nuts are tight, and the roto joint is centered in the space. A little while ago, it started clunking again, and started clunking real loud real quick. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions, since I can't talk to someone at UMI until Monday?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-lca-slop.html
Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Update: I put the front of my car on ramps and the rear on jack stands, and checked out the passenger rear lca, the one that is clunking. The rear jam nut was loose. I tightened it about as tight as I could, took the car for a test drive, and there was no clunking, for about 5 minutes, then it started clunking real loud, real quick. I went back to the garage, put a fair amount of blue Permatex thread sealant on the threads of the rear jam nut, and tightened it. Took it for a test drive, there was no clunking for about ten minutes, then it started clunking real loud, real quick. I am sure this is not the most fascinating thread, but I figured I would describe what the problem is. I don't know if I want to use red thread sealant on the threads, because if the lca needs to be adjusted in the future, it would probably be very difficult to do so.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have on car adjustable control arms that use an adjuster to change there length make sure you hold the adjuster with another wrench while tightening the jam nuts. Here is the item I am referring to- www.umiperformance.com/2039
Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
If you have on car adjustable control arms that use an adjuster to change there length make sure you hold the adjuster with another wrench while tightening the jam nuts. Here is the item I am referring to- www.umiperformance.com/2039
Yeah. I did that. I thought about putting the factory lcas back on, but the handling is a lot better with these, and with the thrust angle set to 0 my car drives more straight. Tomorrow, I will probably try using the blue thread sealant again, tighten the jam nuts with a wrench on the adjuster, and let it dry for an hour.

Last edited by NeoLoco; 12-19-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had aftermarket LCAs with rod ends. Not like yours. But..........
I hated every minute I drove that car on the street. Clunk bang etc... For a street car I went back to stock.

I know that wasn't any help with your problem, but I thought I would share my experience with "race" type parts on the street.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
I had aftermarket LCAs with rod ends. Not like yours. But..........
I hated every minute I drove that car on the street. Clunk bang etc... For a street car I went back to stock.

I know that wasn't any help with your problem, but I thought I would share my experience with "race" type parts on the street.

I agree!!

Yes, I too, put a set of double adjustable, "Johnny-Joint" equipped, LCAs on my car. I also did it to get the thrust aggle 'dead on'......And YES, they're harsher than the rubber bushed LCAs, but since I retired, and my daily commute to work is now 2 miles to a part time job, rather than a 24 mile "excursion", I live with it.....
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Fascinating update: The clunking has stopped. I used blue Permatex thread sealant on the rear jam nut, let it dry for a while, and everything is good.

The noise of the poly/roto lcas doesn't bother me. After having them on my car for a few weeks, I can't even hear a difference in the noise level between the stock and poly/roto. The ride is a little harsher, but the handling is much better. I drive 60-70 miles at least 4 days a week and IMO the big improvement in how my car drives is worth it feeling a little less like a luxury car.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i did find that my del spheres loosened up after break in......so a little tighting was in order

Quick Reply: UMI poly/roto rear lca clunking